How do I teach my 2 1/2 yr old to not be soo friendly?

She'll talk to ANYONE! She says hi out the window, at stores, to people walking down the street absolutely anyone. She would probably walk right up to them too if I let her. I've told her not to talk to people she didnt know but I dont think she understands. How do I explain this to her without changing her personality or making her scared?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 10:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• At this stage I just let them be they are always with you. As they get older that's when we introduce "stranger Danger" type lessons to them.

My DD is like that unless someone says hi to her first then she turns into an ostrich!

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• oooo girl we went thur the same thing when my son was younger and the sad part the inlaws thought it was cute and we was like awww hell nah we have to nip this in the bud,lol...be we just talk to him like a big boy and told him that it is nice that he is so nice to everybody but he can't do that because everybody will not be that nice back to him...also explain that every person it not (your child's name) friend and we just have to keep inforcing it and i promise she will grow outta of it and it will get better
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 10:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I want my kids to be friendly. My son is very friendly and will start up conversations with random people at the store. Because I'm so extremely shy that it affects my life I want to encourage my son to continue to be outgoing like that. But I also realize there is possible danger. I told him he can talk to people as long as he is with an adult (me or his dad or grandmother, whoever he happens to be with) but he is not to talk to strangers if we aren't right there with him. I had one instance where he went around to the side of the car and started talking to someone in the parking lot while I was getting his sister in the car. I didn't realize anyone was there so it kind of freaked me out. But as long as I'm right there next to him he should be fine.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• wow...sounds exactly like my daughter. i thought it was where we live but my sil just told me her nephew was like that too when he was little. i think they grow out of alot of things. my dd says hi to everyone. and bye. and its cute so i hope its a phase. but i understand but i think at this age they are just happy to be able to communicate so easily. as long as a parent or just an adult they know is present with them its fine. everyone that she says hi to thinks its the cutest thing.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011