Do you have 2 different curfews?

Growing up, my brother was allowed to stay out an hour later than us girls.

The thought was that he couldn't get pregnant. Well no, but he can get someone pregnant.

Do yours have the same curfew or different and if different, why?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• sweepingno. it is 2011 that way of thinking is sooo outdated and stupid. when parents give their sons more leeway it reminds me of "the keep the woman down" generation.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My ds and dd have different curfews, however it is because they are 3 years apart. DS is 17 and DD is 14, his is midnight and her is 11 PM. When dd turns 16 hers will be midnight also, which is the town curfew.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My 16 year old and 19 year old girls(lives at home) have very different curfews....age appropriate of course.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Nope. I have fraternal twins, a boy and a girl. They have same curfew, they always have, they always will.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My kids aren't at that age yet but we will most likely do it as our parents did. Curfew is based on the child. I did not have a curfew but my brothers did. I would give my parents a time estimate of when I would be home, call if it was going to be later and they always knew where I was. If my plans changed, such as leaving one friend's house to go to another, then I would call and let them know. My brothers however didn't know how to pick up a phone, so they had curfews because they left my parents worrying. But my parents did have the rule that I could not have boys in my room (which is totally understandable) but my brothers could have girls in their rooms. That one didn't make sense to me.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son will have curfew a half hour later than my daughter for dates because he will have to take the girl home - so the date will still end at the same time hers did. If going out with friends, his curfew will be the same as hers.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• ummm... based on age they will, but not on gender!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• When I had kids, they didn't give me any trouble about being home at a resonable hour and we didn't have a "curfew". We trusted them and knew they were not out there gettimng in trouble. Besides, teens can get in a lot of trouble early in the evening so having them obey a "curfew" does no good at all. LOL. Its really pointless.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Oh-and I had 2 girls and one boy and we would not expect them to have different rules and , of curse,no curfews. That is silly. They were in before midnight anyway. Only once were two of them out late (so I grounded them for a week) then later found out it was because they were in the yard using my son's telescope with a bunch of their friends. They were really nerdy and innocent. But that was in the 1980's before kids started going nuts and thinking they all had to have sex.LOL.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011