Being served papers by grandparents!!

I have tried for so long to get along with my parents..my daughter is four in a half. And I cant do it anymore. Im stressed out all the time. I ask them not to swear in front of my LO, and they di point blank is I cant have them around my LO..to make it short can they serve me with papers for visitation rights? And will they win in court?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes grandparents can take you to court. But if they are unfit around your child, you really need to voice that. They are your children, and if you dont want them around negative behavior they shouldnt be. I am not going to lie...if my son ever tried to take my grandson out of my life, I would def fight in court...but keep in mind, I would never swear in front of my grandson, and I am a really good meme to him. So if he were to be taken from me for no apparent reason, I wouldnt rest until I kept seeing him. But sounds like you have good reason.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• They can certainly TRY and serve you. NO self respecting lawyer would take their case all the way to court to find out and tell the judge your reason for not allowing visitation. The judge would side with YOU.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I would suggest that you look up "grandparent's rights" for your particular state. Each state has different laws.

However, I would think that as the child's parent, you have every right to decide who can or cannot see your child.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Anyone can take anyone else to court over the silliest things. Whether they win or not is a different story. In Ohio grandparents have little rights if the child's biological parents are living and have custody. Like if my mom got mad at me and took me to court they'd laugh at her. Part of my right as a parent is to determine who my child can and can't spend time with. As long as I'm not withholding a court ordered visitation from the other parent no one can force me to make my child see anyone.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Not very likely that they would win if you are a good parent (in the eyes of the court) and they are not behaving in a model manner (it might help if you have proof). Visitation for grandparents isn't a big winning issue though, the courts are more worried about parent visitation. Now, if they are really terrible people they could try to pin (presumably false) child abuse allegations against you and contest for custody. I would hope that they wouldn't though. If they have any skeletons (drug, criminal history, poor living conditions) that would not fly in court at all. But if you have any such skeletons (not presuming you do, obviously I don't know you from atom, so I assume you are a good parent), they could have CPS knocking at your door (assuming the would). Can you just be really busy for a while? Make it not an issue but you just haven't had time to make it over? Then, you can only stay for five minutes?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• They can take you to court and try but the truth is like Bellarose said...this issue is something that isn't likely to win in their favor.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Thank you ladies, I really needed answers and the support, im a very good mother I just would like to keep my daughter away from the fighting and negative people
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• They can certainly TRY to get visitation, but I doubt it will fly in court. Good luck, Mama!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think you should take some time to sit down and talk with your parents.and tell them you love them but you do not want certain things done around your child,or you can write them a letter,and explain yourself in a nice way of course here is a list that you would like for them to do in front or your child,and set boundies with disipline. and are the grandparents in the past been around the child? and is this their only grandchild?
    Aries_1

Answer by Aries_1 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• @Aries1 no they have another grandchild..and thats why I'm in this mess im in with them..Ive already tried talking to him..my daughter is 4 in a half..thats how long ive been dealing with them!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2011