Tummy sleeping

So, my 7 week old only likes to sleep on his tummy. Any time I put him on his back, he wakes up screaming. He pushes up on his own, and very well and is able to get himself off his face. He can roll over onto his side while on his back and can get off his tummy and onto his side. So my question is, do you think it would be ok to stop trying to struggle with back sleeping? Should I let him just be a tummy baby?

kayceeisit

Asked by kayceeisit at 10:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My eldest was the same: I tried and tried to get him to stay on his back, but he was a fussy colicky baby and we just weren't getting any sleep. I'd try to adjust him with a rolled up sheet so he was kinda on his side a bit. With my subsequent children I've been a lot more laid back about it and let them sleep however they are comfortable. I have 6 kids, the eldest is 20. Yes, SIDS is a worry, but IMO the other risk factors are more serious: maternal smoking, formula feeding, overheating, etc. If you avoid all the other factors and let him sleep safely on his tummy, I'm sure he'll be fine.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i'd let him sleep on his belly. my youngest dd (now 3) was the same way and i put her on her belly early. i'd rather her sleep so i can sleep too. obviously make sure sheet is tight fitting and there are no blankets or stuffed animals or burp clothes near his head. good luck!
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I let mine sleep on belly when they wanted to and were able to move like yours. When I was young docs told parents to make kids sleep on belly to prevent SIDS. Things change. I did what made my kids happy and let them sleep longer. They were able to move their heads so I was not worried about SIDS.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I feel like 7 weeks is too young. But I'm paranoid about SIDS. Just too much of a risk for me.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• When my kids were newborns they told us to NEVER put a baby down on it's back. Only the tummy or prop them on either side. Why? because if the baby spits up they can aspirate the formula or milk into their lungs or drown. my oldest is 22 now. a LONG time ago I know but when did this change? Seems mighty unsafe to me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• all 3 of my kids slept on their tummys since the time they came home from the hospital.. they are all still alive and fine. and actually with my daughter when she was in the nicu for 4 days the nurses discovered that she would stop screaming if she slept on her tummy..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Maybe I should just see what his doc says. I personally think I should let him sleep however he is most comfortable, especially since he can move so well.
    kayceeisit

Comment by kayceeisit (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• my kids all napped on their tummies, but slept on their sides with me at night. my kids were not vaccinated, and they were breast fed. your ped will most likely suggest back sleeping, b/c they are supposed to.
    an interesting thing that i read about sids recently was that it is a judgement call weather there was sids or suffication. i always thought they could discern between the two by looking for fibers in the lungs like they do on the police shows.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• When I was a babe, I slept on tummy all the time...guess it's up to you personally..or get your dr opinion. g.l
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011