Do you think I should ask my Dr to be seen sooner?

I just found out a week ago that I'm pregnant. Tomorrow I will be 6 weeks. Well, I was on antidepressants and my psychiatrist told me how to wean myself off because I said I wanted to try without. Well, I can not handle NOT being on meds (esp since I have a chemical imbalance...so I cant really help it) It's only been a few days of weaning and today was the first day without. I go see my psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm going to ask for something safe that I can take. But I'm really worried about the health of my baby. I've been stressed, irritable, I feel like I cant breathe (dr says its anxiety), I'm super impatient and everything. I do NOT want a miscarriage. I try to settle myself down. I'm dealing with a 2.5 year old on top of this. So as you can imagine, it is really hard.

My first OB appt is April 4th. Do you think I should ask to be seen sooner just to make sure everything is fine with the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• cold turkey is generally more dangerous than weaning. I would do what the doctor tells you.
    LoveMyPoliceMan

Answer by LoveMyPoliceMan at 11:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I did wean myself. I did exactly what he told me to do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• It's good that you're going to see your psychiatrist and if you're already this stressed, I would ask to make your OB appointment sooner because talking to your doctor will probably be a big weight off your chest :)
    AndiAK

Answer by AndiAK at 11:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Dear now seriously even I'm worried about your baby. Now from time to time keep meeting the gynae inorder to make out that the baby is growing normally.....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• yeah if you feel like you need to talk to them, def. make an earlier appointment! i would!! but be careful about those meds!! .. i saw my doc for depression when was pregnant with my third, he gave me something - it was in the 8th month of my pregnancy. he told me the med was new and safe.. welllll my husband didnt have a good feeling on it.. i looked it up online and read that ESPECIALLY in the last 3 months it shouldnt be taken well a year later they had those commericals about meds an pregnant and sure enough that med was there and such about birth defects from it.. ..
    just double check !!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Follow your Dr, and REALLY consider the consequences of taking a med while preggo. 9 months is not long to deal with your imbalance if it means you will have a healthy NORMAL baby. TOO many depressants cause SOO many birth defects in kids. Think how guilty you would feel for taking one and having a baby you would have to care for for the rest of it's life because it's retarded or worse.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I want to add my voice to the "please be careful" chorus here. A friend of mine took meds while pregnant (to be fair, she didn't know she was pregnant) and her son is now 7 and cannot speak, he has extreme behavioural problems, he's severely retarded. He has no genetic defects, this is simply a result of the medicine she took while pregnant. It's just not worth it, hon. It's only nine months... I do sympathize, my husband has a chemical imbalance that leaves him very irritable and depressed when he's without medication, but really this will impact that child irreversably, for life.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Call and see if they can get you in earlier
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i can tell you that no matter what you think might be safe to take it wont be..i was on meds for depression for a while and when i got pregnant the feelings all came back and my dr said that there was nothing safe they could give me because the baby wouldnt be able to handle it....the best thing for you to do is meet with your psychiatrist regularly to talk about your bad times and make sure your ob knows that you were just weaned off of your antidepression meds...to help you relax even just a little try to remember that every woman who is pregnant has hormone surges and needs a little private time...indulge in a movie lunch pedicure or something and do something with your friends or family and never ever underestimate the power of a good nap to put things a little at ease for you good luck
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 2:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• you have to weigh taking a med and dealing... whatever would be best for you AND baby
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011