Have you ever had a friend asking to borrow your vehicle?

I have this close girlfriend, and I love her dearly, and over the last year she's asked me three times to borrow my truck. Twice to get a load of hay (2 hours drive away), and once to take some things to the dump. She has her own truck, but it's often broken down or she doesn't have insurance. The thing is I don't trust her not to get in an accident or drive off the road with it, and she's been known to drive drunk on occasion. I depend on my vehicle for work, and it was 70k when I bought it, and the insurance and maintenance isn't cheap either. How do I tactfully tell her I don't feel comfortable with it? and why would she feel comfortable asking me in the first place? I hate being put in that position. The first time we got out of it by offering to drive for her to do her errands, but I'm tired of being used.

amandahope123

Asked by amandahope123 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, it was someone ask my dad, and my dad didn't minde
    lelly1019

Answer by lelly1019 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Girlfriend or friend?
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• $70,000 is a lot of money....I wouldn't let anyone drive my truck if it were that much. No matter if they had a perfectly clean record or not. Just be honest with her. Tell her it makes you a nervous wreck for anyone to drive your vehicle and she shouldn't get wrapped up so much in these big jobs if she doesn't have the vehicle to support it.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• YOUR responsible for any accident and damage she causes with YOUR truck. See if your insurance would even cover a non policy person. It's not just HER, but the other nuts on the road you have to worry about. Id let my Dad use my truck, but he's got tons of $$ and insurance that covers him no matter who's car he drives.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You tell her NO.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I NEVER lend my vehicle out - no ifs ands or buts about it. Thats why they call it an "accident" no one intends for it to happen but YOU are the one who is screwed in the end.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would say "I WILL DRIVE, No more loaning"

"INSURANCE ISSUES"
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i agree with sissy, just say your insurance doesnt cover it, and ask if you could be a better friend and help her.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 2:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• just say no. No is a comlete sentence.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Tell her you are not comfortable loaning it to anyone anymore. Period. If she gets offended so be it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:30 AM on Mar. 21, 2011