Would you just give in and go to church ?

Less than a year ago my parents started going to a church. When we were growing up our family would go to a church for awhile but it wasnt really something that stuck...Although we all do believe in God... we were just not really a religous family...

Well since they have gone to this new church they are constantly trying to push it done my throat ... My mom will just spring these "talks" on me about how she is so scared that my children and I are going to hell because we are not in church...

My dad will say things are not going right for us because we are not going to church ( actually if I had to be technicall about it... we were going to church with them for about 8 weeks... during that time my husband lost his job and our landlord up-ed our rent.... after we decided that church wasnt for us, my husband got a new job..... so telling us things arent working since we arent in church doesnt really make sense then...) If anything goes wrong with us, he will actually say that if we were in church those things wont happen...

I am about to scream and the next time they say that I just want to tell them, that the way they are acting is making me not want to go AT ALL ...

Both of them push this but yet they don't act "pure" at all.... they have a crappy marriage, both are having affairs, they splurge all of their money, talk down about everyone -especially each other...it just makes me mad.... They can act the way they do but think they are going to heaven and even though I am a good person, I do believe in God, and I do lead a pretty honest life - but since I am not in that church that means I am the one going to hell...

NOW there is even people from their church emailing me and contacting me on Facebook about coming back to the church....

I think I can believe in God, be a good person and not go to church...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• You say you believe in God and are not a religious family.
    God isnt asking you to be religious. He only wants you. When we do something that will bring us closer to God the enemy WILL see that as a threat and wreck havoc in our lives. If we are not aware of the spiritual tools we have we will look at that and want to run.

I will say this.. It is not the church that you will find salvation in Christ Jesus.. It is Christ Jesus Himself that you will find it. Your parents are doing what they think is right but what I encourage you to do is this. You can say something like this: Mom , Dad, If you love me as God loves me you will honor and respect where I am at in my walk right now and allow God to lead and guide me and my family in the way HE wants us to go. This is letting them know that you have the perfect right to choose to go to church or not.
    Then you and your family can do what God wants you to do. continued...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You can either find another church that is more for you and your family or study at home , watch sermons on line for a while.
    THe purpose of going to church has nothing to do with salvation but everything to do with fellowship, worship and growing in Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• No, I wouldn't go. That is your decision and no one, not even your parents should try to shove this church down your throat. Just because you believe in God does not mean you have to go to church. Stand up for yourself and tell your parents that it's great that they enjoy going to church however you choose not to & no matter how much they push you, it isn't going to change your mind. Block the people on Facebook. If they are already on your friends list simply & politely tell them the same thing you told your parents. Religion and spirituality is personal & people need to respect your right to choose whether you go to church or not. You do not have to be in church to commune with God.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 11:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Nope.  Order them each one of these:

http://rlv.zcache.com/car_church_bumper_sticker-p128856911461407951trl0_400.jpg

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think you can be a good person, believe in god and not go to church, too. Sometimes parents don't know when to stop parenting. 

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• God (or gods as my case is) is/are not confined to a building. He is everywhere. Going to church does nothing but present a show.. go with your heart.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My mother is trying to convince me my children need to go. My daughter is 12 and wants to go where her friends go-I doubt she is that interested but I will take her if she wants but I won't go regardless. Too many power hungry preachers
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It sounds like you are being used. I suspect your parents are creating drama, "the wayward child / prodigal son" in a bid for social prominence, sympathy or as a smoke screen against folks who are aware of those issues you mentioned. Their acts as described sound very manipulative. I think this situation may be just one of many and should be dealt with as a non religious issue. If you don't wish to give in to their tactics, don't.

Religiously, I agree with several above posters. You can not find the Gods in any building but within your own heart.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• YES- you can believe in God, be a good person and not go to church- ;)

I am one of those people where parental guilt works on me and I have given in to the whims of my parents just to stop the drama-
    If you decide to go just to please them, maybe go in with an open mind and see if Church does you some good- if it does not, you can at least say you tried what they asked and it did not hold value for you-
    Either way- go or don't go- you are still who/what you are and there is nothing wrong with that -
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Personally, I would tell them that you are glad they are happy with going, but it really isn't what you are interested in doing. If they continue to be overbearing and pushy, point out that they need to clean their own house before even looking at yours and that if they can't respect you and your decision, then they will have to stay away until they can.

I know that sounds harsh, but sometimes you just HAVE to be harsh to get your point across.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2011