Does this happen to anyone else?

I have a family of five, and people often take it upon themselves to comment on the amount of food I purchase at the grocery store. I would never dream of commenting on anything that other people purchase in any store, most especially in a grocery store. Yet time and time again people say things like, "you must feed an army" or "wow, you must eat a lot in your house." Am I wrong in thinking this is rude?

catsmom1993

Asked by catsmom1993 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, we have 6 in ours, three of which are boys that eat a TON(DH is one of them, lol). So we have to buy a TON when it's time to stock up, but I've never had anyone comment on the amount of food I buy, even when I'm trying to push around two buggies FULL of stuff! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i think there just trying to be nice and start up a conversation
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 11:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• just tell them, " yup, an army of 5" and laugh it offf.. i don't think they are trying to be rude, just start a conversation w/ you
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I believe as well , they just want to start conversation with you, nobody knows that you have fam. of five. :) you could say, I'm taking care of 5 ppl at home is my duty! :) I'm sure you are a brave and a great mom!
    cageybaby

Answer by cageybaby at 12:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think you are being a little thin-skinned, we are all waiting on you to get that huge load of groceries paid for so we can check ours out and be outta there! You have never struck up a conversation with people in line with you? Oh, I know who you are! LOL
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Maybe these people don't have a family your size and can't imagine buying that much food. My mother makes that comment all the time to other people. Then she tells me that she can't imagine anyone having to buy that much food. She only buys for herself. Just don't take it personally.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it is a little rude, but that's how some people are........they don't think. Laugh it off as suggested earlier.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2011