What to do with a 15 month old during a tantrum?

my 15 month old throws the worst tantrums already. I have no idea what to do except completely ignore her until she gets over it. any other suggestions?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I picked mine up, put them in a playpen or crib, told them that I'll be back when they calm down, then leave and close the door. Whatever you do, be consistant. Don't give in. You are being tested.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My 18-month-old has been starting to throw tantrums. I do spank sometimes, although I don't like doing that, and I know some people won't spank. Sometimes when he starts his fit, I have a special spot where I just pick him up and plop his butt down, and I make him stay there until he calms down. This is kind of a new thing, so we haven't developed a consistent way of handling it yet, but I think we're going to go with the "time out" spot. It requires taking time and being consistent and putting your child back on the mat (or time-out chair) repeatedly until they get the idea they're not going to get anything else until they calm down. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• When my daughter throws a tantrum I say to her "let mommy know when you are done crying and are ready to be a big girl" then walk away, and ignore... Paying attention only shows them that when they want something they just need to scream, kick, or whatever. It could last a while once she cried herself to sleep on the floor, but most the time she realizes that I wont answer to her when she acts like that.

My 1 year old does the same thing and I have found that while it is hard and annoying to listen to them cry it works, you are the parent and teacing them screaming wont work.

I do time out too! Super Nanny's time out senario works WONDERFUL with my 2 year old!!!! But you HAVE to follow it precisely!
    tinkerbella922

Answer by tinkerbella922 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• calmly pick them up, say firmly, "i love you. what you're doing is not okay. i don't want to be around you if you're screaming and kicking. i will come back in five minutes and see if you're done." and set them in the playpen. do not come back before five minutes. if you have to go outside, or turn the radio on, fine. if you do it every time, you won't have to do it for too long.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2011