When should I defrost my turkey?

I want to have thanksgiving dinner at 4pm on Thursday, so when should I defost my turkey?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 2:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You're already too late for defrosting in the fridge...so give it a bath! :)
    Put it in a (clean) sink, still in the wrapper, and fill with cold water. Change the water every hour or so for about 5-6 hours. That should be enough to thaw it, if not completely, then most of the way. Refrigerate until ready to prep, removing from the refrigerator at least 30 min prior to putting in the oven.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'll telly ou what Is aid to the last mama that sked. On average I think it's 24 to 48 hours to defrost thorughly, but as we don't know how big of a turkey your defrosting or how long it's been in the freezer I would start thawing it now to be on the safe side.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• it depends how bbig it is i was always told 2 hrs per pound... so if ur terkey is 20lbs take it out 40 hrs before u wanna cook it.... i just take mine out 2 days before all the time so its easy to stuff
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 3:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You should take it out of the freezer now and let it thaw in the fridge..it will take until Thursday...
    Anonymous

• I got it on Sunday morning and it is 13 lbs
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 3:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The Butterball website has a great calculator. If you're refrigerator defrosting a frozen turkey, you need three days and six hours...so you're already too late. Cold water defrost...just six hours.

http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/buy

Answer by gdiamante at 3:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2008