Have you ever had a "why" or "what" moment?

Do you remember a time when your child did something and all you could say was "why" over and over again? Such as in "why? why? why would you think it was okay to color your whole wall with marker?" or "what? what were you thinking when you pulled every sheet, towel, blanket, out of the linen closet to make a fort?" The other day I heard my neighbor yelling at her kids and all she could say was "why?" I do not know what she was yelling about, but I thought it was funny that I knew exactly what she was feeling! Lol! So have you ever had a "why" or "what" moment? And what was it about?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Oh, yes. But, I get these ones where I ask why, they explain, and then I have to ask why b/c the explanation made no sense. Like the other day, my son got candy out of the pantry, I asked him why, he said the monster in his closet made him do it. So, to humor him, I said why did you listen to the monster. He said b/c the alien told him to. Then he said the alien told him to b/c his brother told the alien to tell the monster to tell him to get the candy. So, sometimes my whys aren't of frustration, but genuine confusion! lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have 5 kids so there have been so many what were you thinking moments I cant count. Or the things you catch yourself saying like "Honey dont jump on your brother" or "Dont pretend to shoot your sister". My best one lately though was talking to my mom on the phone and my grandson who is 2 and youngest dd who is 3.5 were "riding" our dog and I said "Dont ride the dog!" and it made me think why would anyone ride a dog? It was one of those "Things I never thought Id say" moments.
    Another time my teen boys who were 6 and 8 at the time tied their sister up and put her in the closet and covered her with a blanket. It wasnt until dinner time that my mom went looking for them (I was at work). They said they did it because she wouldnt share the ps2.

Answer by gemgem at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Oh my gosh....I remember one time I was in the kitchen making lunch, but then I realized the house was too quiet. So I called around for my 2 year old DD. I heard noises but she wouldn't answer. Something inside me sd "Oh lawd...the vaseline.....she's got it." I left out the kitchen got in the hallway...saw a big glob of Vaseline on the wall, but no DD. I walked into my bedroom...there she was on my floor, with the tub of Vaseline, on my dresser, on her head, on my bed, and on my husbands dresser. I couldn't even get mad. I just looked at her and sd "Why? Just why?" she looks at me and shrugs her shoulders and goes "I had to put it on my chin. My chin was itchy." so yea.....i've been there.....
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Um lets see my last one was a combination of how, why, and then how again it was "How did you get the sharpie I put it ontop of the fridge and Why did you think it was a good idea to draw on the carpet followed by OMG HOW am I gunna get that out?
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 3:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• gemgem...I totally get that one. I was talking to a friend one day when my 5 yr old told the dog he was going to weedwhack him. My friend only heard me say, "no, you are not going to weedwhack the dog!". What was worse, though, was that I didn't even realize how ridiculous I sounded until my friend said, "uh...did you just tell someone they couldn't weedwhack the dog?" lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i had the "never thought you would say that" moment....my and my Dh at the same time sd "YOu will not shoot ANYONE IN THE KNEE!" when my DD had a water gun and sd she was gonns shoot her cousin in the knee, and then I was caught yelling.... "YOU WILL NOT PUNCH ANYONESS FAT BUTT!" .....*sigh*....just sad...but hilarous when people point it out
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Here are a couple other times. My sons (now teens) had bb guns for their 7th and 8th christmas. They came in and were all muddy and had used their bb guns to dig out one of their shoes from a HUGE mud pile in the neighbors yard (which they werent supposed to be there anyway bc there was construction) and were fighting with each other. I found out that one had shot the other in the butt and the other in the leg, then wrestled in the mud pile and for some reason thought it was a great idea to dig the shoe out of the mud pile. Mind you they o nly came in and asked for help because my now 19 yr old dd (then 11) was running in to tell. I had to say "Why did you shoot your brothers butt?" and "Why did you try and dig a shoe out of mud with a gun?". Yep fun times.

Answer by gemgem at 3:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My oldest is only 4 and I've had MANY moments like that. Like when he decided to dump all of his toys out of the sandbox and use his brand new shoe as a shovel. More recently I kept hearing this huge thud followed by a light tinkling sound coming from his room. I snuck down the hall so I catch whatever he was doing in the act, durn kid was jumping off of his bed and trying to grab the fan blades. Said he just wanted to spin around on it!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 3:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Lol. I needed these laughs! I remember when my oldest was little, for whatever reason she used to love to put my underwear (panties and bra) on her head and walk around like that, and I just remember always having to say "don't put my underwear on your head" and thinking 'I never thought I would have to say that!

Another time, I guess she was just tired of taking an empty back pack to school, so one day she filled it up with my underwear (she must have liked it for some reason) and took it without me knowing! That was embarassing when a few days later her teacher brought it up! lol!
    Anonymous

• My first son has this teddy bear named TaTa that he he took EVERYWHERE with him! One night he had an accident and TaTa got wet in it so he was in the washing machine.....we went to meet daddy at work for lunch. My husband is a mechanic so he works out in a rather raucous shop, when one of the guys asked him where TaTa was he said "Well, Mommy had to put him the washing machine because I peed on him!" There was a moment of silence that you could have heard a pin drop and then everyone burst out laughing at the same time.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 3:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008