How can I get my two year old to stay in his bed?

We had moved my two yo into a toddler bed about a month ago owing to the fact that he learned how to flip himself out of the crib. All I saw were stitches in his future so we sucked it up and put together the toddler bed. Every night it has been a struggle to get him to stay in bed. We've ignored him at the door, we've spoken firmly, we've silently walked in and put him in bed every time he has gotten out, we've even spanked. I am at my wits end to get that boy to stay in bed. Does anyone have any suggestions. Oh and before its asked, yes he is definately tired. We don't have this problem for naptime just at nighttime.

treystiredmommy

Asked by treystiredmommy at 12:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To him this is a fun game right now. Try just closing his door and not responding to him... that way you're not playing the game with him and it's no longer fun. He might play around in his room but eventually he'll get bored and fall asleep. That's why my sister had to do with her son.
    AndiAK

Answer by AndiAK at 2:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Aw, don't spank him for wanting cuddles. It's really not natural to sleep alone, so be kind and sensitive to his fears of abandonment. Pesonally I'd stay with him until he falls asleep, or allow him to fall asleep next to me and then move him. Kids grow up very fast. Try to fit as much love and cuddles into every single day as you possibly can. Enjoy him.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Could he be ready to give up his nap? Mine gave up their naps at age two. Go back to taking him back over and over without speaking. If it is easier to sit at the door to the room with your back to him do that. But be consistent with ONE solution. Also have a set routine and stick to it. Read him a couple of books and cuddle for a few minutes too. Take all anger out of the situation. He is learning something and should not be punished for needing time to adjust and understand it. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i had a similar problem with my daughter. i agree, its not a good idea to spank him at bedtime. that might just make things hader. its going to be a long process. its not gonna happen over night,or even in a week. but my suggestion is to make sure he has a nightligh in his room. find a favorite stuffed toy that is ONLY for bedtime use. get some longer story books,( not a book that takes 1 min. to read through.) make sure you tell the childd "im going to read you this story, and then you have to go to bed." read him the book, if he sits up while your reading, stop reading lay him back down, tell him to stay laying down, then continue reading. ideally, he will fall asleep during the book and all you have to do is give your kisses and say good night. but in the begining its going to prolly take some time going back and putting the child back to sleep over and over. just keep the routine and things will eventually work out.
    Jen.McCarthy88

Answer by Jen.McCarthy88 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011