Longest labor...

I am 39weeks and 4days. Been having contractions for 8days now, a min apart. However, I'm not dilating much. I'm 3cm and 80% effaced... How long was your labor? Could something be wrong with my son? Too big? I still feel him moving... I just feel like something is wrong... Hospital keeps sending me home. :( I'm about to go crazy.

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 1:42 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Relax.  Easier said then done I know.  But I sometimes wonder if I didn't "stall" labor with my 3rd because I kept getting hyped up thinking YES baby is coming NOW!  Relax, let it happen. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, I was contracting regularly for a week, maybe a week and a half, before I actually considered myself to be in labor (that's when I started dilating, starting from 3cm, 1cm every 12 hours or so). After I hit 3cm and started dilating like that, I was in labor 68-70 hours.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• just take it easy i was in labor almost 2 days but due to failure to progress had a c section which i was scared but as long as my baby was okay i was totally okay with it not trying to scare you or anything but it can happen so just be patient i went in on a thursday and went home a week later...so yea pretty long
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Crap I hit enter too soon lol. Anyway, I didn't start dilating faster until I hit 6cm and my OB broke my water. Then I started dilating about 1cm every two hours, until I got to 8.5cm and that's when I actually started to hurt, but from 8.5cm to holding my baby for the first time was only like 10-15 minutes.

As far as I know, so long as your water hasn't broken, what you're experiencing is fairly normal.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Have you asked about being induced? Women can be pregnant until 42 weeks until the doctor decides to intervene.

My first labor was 17 hours long and I was having contractions through out that day. And my second labor was 5 hours long and I was having contractions for about 1-2 weeks before.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well I've been having contractions since 30 weeks. Been on doctor watch week by week. My contractions are 5 to 6 minutes apart no dilating, not soft. It's my normal. I'm 36 weeks today (yay) and I'm still contracting the same. It's painful but no need in going to the hospital cause they know the deal. Like the other moms stated relax. Relax and let nature take it's course, your baby will be here in due time. Good luck.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 5:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I was contracting regularly for 2 weeks before they induced me. Went to the hospital about 4 times and they kept sending me home because I wasn't dilating anymore. They finally admitted me to start my induction when I was 11 days over due, *completely miserable*..
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If they are sending you home it's because your safer and not quite ready. It will be soon hun. Your delivery will most likely go quickly. If this continues ask your OB to induce. Good Luck ma ma.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 6:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would rather go the way your hospital if telling you than be put on pitocin or have any other interventions. Try to do some relaxing activities- meditate, walk, do some therapeutic cleaning around the house. You may be tensing up and that's why you aren't dilating.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i would relax... labor is different for everyone
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011