What should I do? All he wants to do is go in his walker. I almost regret introducing it to him.

Antonio cries unless he is in his walker or asleep. He cries when I put him down, hold him, or putting him on his tummy(needs tummy time). I swear he'd lose it without that thing and honestly, I don't want him in his walker all the time. What should I do? He's laying here screaming and he's full and changed.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just be glad that he found he found something he can entertain himself in! It's hard for little guys who can't do much and while he's in the walker he's getting exercise, holding up his head and using his abs like he would during tummy time. He'll get bored with it soon enough, I wouldn't worry that he may be spending too much time in it.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 3:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• How old is he? Yes! He needs tummy time. and, you dont need to feel bad, when he needs somethng he will make sure you know. Being in his walker wont hurt him, all babies have that one thing/place/person that tend to make them comfortable/happy. If it is somethng he likes and isnt cring when he is in it. Let him be. When he is tired of it, he will let you know.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• let him cry for a few minutes during tummy time. giving him what he wants all the time isn't healthy, at any age.
    Anonymous

• I would have to agree with slinkee's answer.
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 3:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• He does need tummy time. Developmentally, its better to crawl before walking. The walker won't teach him to crawl so that is why I'm concerned.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Not sure you need too much tummy time with him in the walker. It shows he can already hold his head up. Let him cry for a bit though, hopefully he'll get over it once he starts learning to crawl. Then he won't want to be contained anymore.
    Anonymous

• One thing I did was to keep the walker height very low. This forced my daughter to stand up and support her weight instead of letting the walker seat support her. The walker was mostly to give her a little support for balance until she was confident enough to walk on her own. But only because she couldn't "walk" in it while sitting in it too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I agree with the previous posts that if he is happy and content let him be, he will let you know when he needs something--for my little one it is baby einsteins--don't block her view--she gets very angry (she only gets 30 mins a day), but it is really funny to watch her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The only problem with walkers, and jumpers, is that they do not work the stomach muscles like sitting up, rolling over and crawling do. I learned this the hard way! My daughter was premature. I was putting her in the jumper and it actually caused more problems than it helped. She loved it, but she wasn't learning how to support herself. I put it away and not long after she started crawling. I would say as long as your child is meeting developmental milestones, it's ok, but keep an eye on it.
    tiffanyp1980

Answer by tiffanyp1980 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My doctor told me walkers are bad because later in life they show signs of blockage from where the walker held the childs legs and that for a child to learn to walk they have to learn to balance from a forward fall. So in all the walker slows them down a bit in developing. I used one and decided to give it away after hearing that. I think your little one might cry because they want to see everything that is going on around them instead of being on the ground where they are not able to see much. Sorry to tell you that information. I just don't want anything to happen to babies if it is true.
    hotty2u14

Answer by hotty2u14 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2008