Did Noah really build an ark and fill it with animals?

Come on really do you believe this story?

jonellg

Asked by jonellg at 1:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• confusedthis story makes no sense to me. some animals are so wild how on earth did he capture 2 of every animal ? did he have dart guns and tranquilizers??? things that make u go hmmmmm.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No. I don't believe a lot of the stories in the bible. I can't help it, I have tried to believe but logically I just can't.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Mythology.

Judeo-Christian mythology.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Nope.  I don`t believe anything the bible says.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I do not. Not all of us (Christians) take this kind of stuff literally ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, I don't literally believe in the Biblical flood (Noah's Ark) or the Babylonian flood (Ut-Napishtim's ark) or any of the other hundreds of worldwide flood myths. I think they are usually purely myth or in some cases exaggerations of local flooding.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• There are some 30 million forms of life on this planet. Humankind NOW cannot build a ship large enough to carry 60 million (2 of each animal), enough food to feed them and their caretakers and enough hands to remove the excrement of those millions. A primitive wood-working man would find the task equally impossible--even if he had been given all the time he wanted. IF it happened at all, 1) it was NOT a world-wide flood, but just a local one and 2) only local wildlife would be loaded onto it. Arctic polar bears and penguins would take 10 years for Noah to go and find and bring back using his only mode of transportation...his feet. And they would die in the heat long before he got them on the ark. MO is that it didn't happen. It's a fairy tale from an ancient mythology book. And, even as a kid, I was a big skeptic about Noah and his magical ark! LOL!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• How is the flood story about choices? God told Noah "build a big-ass canoe and put the San Diego Zoo on it. Then grab your panchos and flashlights, it's gonna pour!" and proceeded to drown everyone else. Where does the "choice" part come in? I suppose Noah could have chosen to tell god where to stick it and drowned with the rest of humanity, but that's about it.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Thanks for the insult. I didn't realize I had an audience, nor was I trying to "strut my crap". I find this discussion interesting, and I think my questions are valid.  They are questions I've had since I attended church and Sunday School. I've apologized already if I've offended, but what is it about my question that isn't valid? Did I draw a conclusion that is erroneous?  The logistics of the Noah's Ark story are impossible, and the end of the flood brings about an entirely different set of impossible circumstances.  So, what was wrong with me asking questions about them in a debate section?  Have I insulted anyone?  Have I called anyone names?  I merely asked questions about the story that has never made sense to me.  How that translates to "strutting my crap" is beyond me.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think the myth probably started out as a flood in a village. Someone probably had the foresight to put his animals (probably a couple of mules and a few chickens) on a raft or boat, and save himself, his family and a few possessions while the rest of the village perished. Like a good fish story, it grew and grew until it was recorded in the Old Testament as the story of Noah's Ark.

It's simply not possible for the story in the Bible to be true.  There are too many species who need specific environments in order to survive.  Salt water fish, for example, cannot survive in fresh water, and vice versa.  The amount of food that they would have to have on board, the disposal of feces, all of it simply isn't possible.  It's a fun story, but simply not true.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2011