my sons high school has fiberglass from the 1920s and it has never been removed!

The high school that my son goes to has really old instillation from the 1920s that has never been removed! And the new high school won't be finished until my son graduates from high school in 2212!

babyboomer1957

Asked by babyboomer1957 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• As long as it's not exposed there is no harm and do you mean 2012? I know it can't come quick enough for you though.
    Anonymous

• Talk to your doctor and see if there's any need for worry. If you are still worried after that, consider homeschooling or switching schools.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• 2212??

I am sure you meant 2012. If they have broken ground already that's a long time!! In our districts they start and finish school and it takes about a year IF that. I really don't think you need to worry too badly about the insulation, most issues with problems from old insulation are from the workers who handled it and are pretty much long gone by now. I am quite sure your son and his buds are pretty safe from it unless they are being exposed to it by touch or it's sticking out of the cealing falling on them or something.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 3:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• my school had asbestos in the walls and it was exposed, no one died. as long as none is exposed your son will be fine. and i really hope they're building away better new school because 204 yrs is a long time to wait (that was a joke)
    Anonymous

• ummm...FIBERGLASS INSULATION does not cause cancer. The asbestos related insulation that has been linked to cancer has been removed from public buildings in recent years is the LOOSE sprayed on fill, not the sheet type (Owens Corning "Pink Panther" type) that are in our homes.

There is no way a public building--let alone a school would be allowed to operate with known cancer-causing insulation. That school would have been renovated at the VERY least in the late 80's/early 90's.

Anonymous

• I think you are confused between fiberglass & asbestos. They aren't the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• They better give him a lot more then a high school diploma if he has to stay in school that long (j/k)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Chances are the insulation in your house is fiberglass also! There's no danger! Fiberglass is really itchy but not really harmful unless you eat it... Tell your son not to do that! Lol! Asbestos is different. It can be dangerous BUT only if it's inhaled. If they are not tearing it up it won't release dust. Asbestos in solid form (flooring, tile, ceilings) is harmless unless it's damaged, and even then it's only a danger while the particles are in the air. The reason it has been removed from most buildings is because when they try to do updates they would have to hire a special team to come in and remove it. SO they usually just do it once and get it over with.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Our house was built in 1943. It is Asbestos siding. I grew up in this house from age 3. I am now married and have a 15 year old daughter and we still live in the same house. As long as the tiles are not disturbed it is fine. Susan 262
    Susan262

Answer by Susan262 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2008