• In the Spotlight:

Pregnancy and herpes! HELP!

I am 38 weeks pregnant and i have herpes. I experienced some itching for 2 weeks and there were no other symptoms( week 36 and 37). Is it safe to have a vaginal birth at this point? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Talk to you doc! If you're between break-outs, I think they let you go vaginally...but there are a lot of circumstances that need to play into it. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• No its not safe, It can cause your baby to get the std or blindness you will have to have a c-section, sense you are already 38weeks. If it was known sooner it could have been treated.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would want a c-section just to be sure it didn't get passed on to the baby
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• To avoid the risk to your baby I would recommend not but your doctor is the one that helps you make the last call on that. I wouldn't since it can cause blindness and other issues for baby.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 3:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't recommend a vaginal birth unless your doc okays it. My sis had them and was taking her meds the last 4 weeks and was okay to vaginal delivery, but ended up with emergency c-section. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I wouldn't just to be safe, but that should be somethign you discuss with your doctor. I was diagnosed with warts but I have not seen any for over 7 years, If I had an outbreak I would not choose vaginal. My mom always told me it is better to be safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

• As long as you are not having an outbreak you can deliver vaginally. My friend has herpes and she hasn't had an outbreak since high school, she delivered vaginally. Talk to your doctor about it. Itching is not an outbreak but you might have a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• no u have to have a c-section..
    Anonymous

• it is if you have no signs of a break out but if you do have signs the only way to not give it to your baby is with c section ... im sorry
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You better go to the doctor and let them know!! If you want to keep ur baby healthy,he or she may have to be born by C-section. Better safe than sorry..
    deafrose

Answer by deafrose at 8:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2008