What to do when your baby wakes up and won't go back to sleep

My daughter (8 months)goes to bed at a descent enough hour but wakes up at 11 and is up til 2. No matter what I do, she won't settle down and go back to sleep. I don't know what else to do.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have my daughter on a schedule so mayb you should try and do something similar.
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 3:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My 6 month old does this. I feed her, change her, rock her and if that fails then we get up and play. It is not the best advice but I do what I have to to "survive".
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Keep her up longer at night Cut out or shorten nap time.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• This happened to a friend's baby. She kept the lights off, soothed her, and talked very little to signal to the baby that it is sleep time not play time. If she was not crying she left her in the crib to coo and babble. It eventually worked and the baby learned to sleep through. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• when she wakes up give her warm milk and see if that helps if not. keep all the lights turned off and rock her back and forth if that doesn't work after 30 minutes then you will have to do something hard just put her in the crib and leave her for five minutes and check on her and keep doing it and she will know it is bed time and she needs to sleep. i did it to both of my sons and it toke a week and they finally got it and they never woke up again just slept threw the night then.
    mammawolf604

Answer by mammawolf604 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My DD does this sometimes too. After i put her on a schedule it REALLY helped. She gets two 30-45 min naps a day and THATS IT!!! nighttime is strictly at 9:30 and now we hardly ever have that problem. Try a strict routine and see if it helps
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would keep her on a schedule, even her naps, don't let babe take a nap to late in the day. If babe still wakes up, try diaper, then bottle and then put babe back to bed. I don't think playing or anything like that would be a good habbit to get into in the middle of the night. G/l.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• cosleep and breastfeed

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't breastfeed anymore rkolom and I do cosleep with her but when she's on our bed she just wants to play with mommy and daddy. I like everyone's idea of a schedule though. How does this sound:

My 4 yo gets up at 7 to go to school. So perhaps I can get my 8 mo up at 8 when I get home and feed her breakfast. Then let her nap at noon for 45 mins like some of you suggested and then wake her up and feed her lunch, play, go to the park, take walks, go to a story time, etc. Hopefully that will work. THank you all for the help.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011