Do you think someone is considered a mommy or daddy if they just make and give birth to the child??

anayasmommy21

Asked by anayasmommy21 at 5:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have to say no ! I'm a custodial step mum meaning i am raising my 2 step kids I'm the mum . there bio mother has gave birth to them and neglected then she dose nothing for them expect make everyone life hell she dose not even see them any more i think you have to earn the names mum, dad , mummy or daddy by care for your kids , loving your kids , doing what has to be done

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 5:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes in a way. They are biologically parents(fater or mother).  But they are not mommy or daddy?

Answer by louise2 at 5:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• @feralkitten THANK YOU exactly my point....\
    @louise2 that is what i ask...and yess thats what i met as well there not mommy and daddy just cause they made and she gave birth no no....takes more than that to be mommy and daddy
    anayasmommy21

Comment by anayasmommy21 (original poster) at 5:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, they wouldn't be anything past the biological parent. The term mommy or daddy is what a child typically calls their parent, who loves and cares for them. In my opinion, that's earned.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no, I am a Mom, but my 16 yr olds Dad that had never paid a dime towards him or never done anything for him is not a Dad, My husband is a Dad to both my kids, he has always been there and taken care of them and supported them.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Genetics plays a huge role in who we are as parents.... You can have more than two parents, and everyone who influences you and guides you in that way is just as valid.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Nope. If they give the baby up they are birth parents. the adoptive parents fill the roll of Mom and Dad. not to negate the importance of the birth parents.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 6:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 6:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I tend to denote my kids' biological dad as their 'father', but not their 'dad'. He abandoned them, so he will never be their 'dad'. Not to mention, you can definitely be a mommy or a daddy without giving birth to a child. It's all about love, care and nurturing, not just DNA.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 7:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it depends. I mean my oldest son has a biological father and he has his daddy, my DH. His BIO father has never been in the picture and my DH has been there since the day he was born and adopted my son at age 2, so my DH is his father. My son knows about his BIO father and has even met him although he wants nothing to do with him. So guess for us his BIO father will never be his dad. And my DH, who is not his BIO father, will always be dad.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2011