Seventh Day Adventist? Help ~ she's driving me crazy. (Long ~ sorry)

I'm putting this in Religion because my problems with her seem to stem, largely, from her busy-ness in the "name of the Lord".

My neighbor (she lives behind and off to the side of me with a wooded area separating our houses) (And she is my LANDLORD) is SDA. And she's driving me nuts with all the busy body, judgmental, side-ways comments and emails, etc.

First - I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT SHE LOVES GOD, I'm just not convinced that God would have ANY of us win people over by driving them indoors and judging them into submission.

We moved into her rent-house back in October and since then I have NEVER felt more Judged in all my life. We don't have a home church - not because we're not Christian and don't love God - but primarily because we suspected when we were transferred here that it "might not" be permanent ~ we were right. Anyhow - we decided not to set down any roots until we knew if we were staying....(we do visit a local church regularly) BUT she rides me constantly about going to HER church. I told her that I didn't know anything about SDA except the bad rep they got from Waco.... but I'd look into their beliefs.... I did..... I don't agree with a few major points..... so I'm not interested AT ALL in going to a SDA church. And although she has stopped inviting me - she makes snide comments about it all the time. Including sending me emails about being a "Lukewarm Christian".

And I get constant invites to "Sabbath Meal" which is at her house every 2nd and 5th Saturday of the month ~ now I get that the invites are normal, neighborly type things.... but since I moved in in Oct. I've had "A" meal with them -- got a good sampling of the women's cooking..... yuck..... I have never had such bland, gas-inducing, tasteless and rather nasty cooking in all my days.... I suspect strongly their cooking habits have a LOT to do with their diet, collectively.

Second - She is vegetarian (her entire church is vegetarian)... I found out it's because HER SDA church adheres to a lot of old Jewish law regarding diet.... and she is constantly making ugly remarks to me about us being meat eaters. You know they type.... we can't have a conversation about being lactose intolerant or choosing to not eat cheese cuz it's fattening, or not eating sausage because it gives me heartburn..... everything turns into "OOOO, but YOU'LL eat a sweet little baby calf and poor defenseless chickens!" ~ The woman even knocked on my door one day and handed me a glass full of grass green liquid and practically ordered me to drink it ~ I politely said thanks, and then dumped it down the sink when she left (AFTER I HAD TRIED TO DECLINE HER GREEN GIFT).

The woman knows when I get up no matter what time it is.... like this morning at 3:03AM, right when I got DH off to his first day back to work after vacation, she sent me an email wanting to know why I was up! When I emailed her back and asked her HOW she knew I was up... she said, "Didn't I put that in the lease; I'm the all-knowing, all-seeing landlord" ~ CREEPY

She's asked me for my parent's phone number in the past (she wanted to 'get to know my dad' , checks my mail, comments on what she speculates my electric bill will be (I'm guessing based on seeing lights on in my house), comes down and moves things around outside, calls me if I leave home and leave a light on, and is ALWAYS telling me that she "saw" me in town doing this-that-and-the other.

It's like she's right up my butt --- I live in the woods which SHOULD be fairly private --- but I have found myself keeping my blinds closed nearly all the time because I've been sitting here and look up and there she'll be in my yard ~ always claiming to be doing something landlord-y, but I suspect she's just nosing around. I even changed the code on my door locks because I don't trust her NOT to come in my house while I'm gone.

Everything she does, she says that she does "In service to the Lord"....... how do I deal with this Seventh Day Adventist-seemingly busy body, judgmental, snide comment making, sneaking around, nosy woman??
I don't want to get into a Bible debate with the woman because I don't believe like she does, and I certainly don't wanna make her (as my landlord or neighbor) mad at me.... so how, WHAT is the best way to get her to just leave me be ~ as long as I pay my rent, which I do, always, on time.

Some of you may remember.... this has been ongoing for some time now and YES I've distanced myself from her. I don't chit-chat with her, visit with her, buddy-buddy with her anymore (I barely did to begin with). I do everything I can to just stay to myself. I literally have gotten to where I look out to see if she's 'lurking' around before I even go outside to play with my dogs or just enjoy the spring... heck, I've even stopped enjoying my morning coffee on the patio (which I've done my whole life).

Help PLEASE!!??? I can't even get up in the middle of the night now without having to put up with her!

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 8:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• This doesnt sound like a religious issue as much as a mental issue. This woman is insane and nuts and is stalking you. Landlord or not you are entitled to privacy and she is harassing you. I would go to the police dept and ask them about her and see if there have not been any issues in the past involving her or her church. I would also tell her you have noticed things moved around and worry someone may have gotten into your house and that you have set up a nanny cam LOL. That might get her to stop doing what she is.

Move though. Seriously. Gosh this smells of Single white female lmao.

Answer by gemgem at 8:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• booshelby i am sooo sorry. i was raised as an SDA believe it or not... they are so very judgemental, i am surprised she has not said anything about your coffee drinking .my word!!!! you are drinking caffeine and you will go to hell because it is a sin!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish u the best until the day u move out. these people are crazy and judgemental to say the least. they are even against the wedding band ...go figure. if u want peace you must move out.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• She is stalking you and harassing you. It needs to stop, Landlord or not. I would do like gemgem said, go straight to the police dept and let them know you are being harassed and stalked. I would even go so far as to move and get your deposit back. Go to your local housing authority and make them aware of the harassment. Don't worry about hurting her feelings because she sure as heck is not concerned about your well being.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If you are a military family your housing office will back you. The military does not put up with their families being harassed period.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well according to what I found out... they don't (or at least these people don't) believe that Hell exist *Currently*.... they can't or won't tell you when it stopped existing , just that it isn't a *current* thing. They believe that it stopped existing 'at some point' and that people just go to sleep and will continue to sleep until the second coming of Jesus - THEN Hell will exist again. (Of course that's not Biblical - and I've tried to find out if it's a Ellen White teaching,, but haven't really delved into that whole subject because I'm just not interested - yet.)
    Unfortunately I smoke cigarettes AND drink caffeine! DH dips Copenhagen, but for some reason his tobacco isn't a sin. Go figure.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i also want to add that ;; i went to an SDA school and they would inspect the students fingers and toes...YES TOES!!!!!!!! just to make sure they have no nail polish on their phalanges. we could not even have clear nail polish or nail hardener on our finger and toes. if we did..they would send us home.. mind you ; our parents had to pay for every day we attended their cult school- - but we missed a day of education because we had on CLEAR nail polish.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Oh no Shelby not caffeine and cigarettes! LOL! Next thing you know you will have a tattoo like me. Honestly I dont think it is reserved for that brand of religion though. We have southern Baptists here and one of my dh's aunts actually went to her grandkids school to have lunch with them so they could understand their parents were going to hell for having tattoos. Again, scary stuff. Those sorts of people really get to me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• going crazyu are right;; they don't believe hell is current or right now.. they think that when the trumpet sounds and the good lord has seen enough crap and sin on this earth he will send fire and brimstones.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, you could always go the other way and give Ms. Snoopy Pants something REALLY frightening to look at. Start putting on creepy scenarios. I have a lovely mind-your-own-business spell that is done with a cauldron in the open air. You wouldn't even have to use a real spell. Just you and your family in halloween capes, stirring a smoking cauldron, and chanting strange phrases would probably keep HER inside. Or make things worse. In all seriousness, this woman is at the extreme end of religious crazy. Fanatacism at it's worse. I'm not sure what the SDAs think about the free will that other christians throw out there so often, but you might try telling her that she shouldn't be interfering in yours. God might get upset with her for trying to do HIS job! And prepare to get out of there as soon as possible!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Heh, if I lived near you I would let you borrow a cauldron.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011