Why are journals such a difficult concept?

The place where you go to vent, air your feelings, address all the injustices of the world, declare that you are obviously the only civilized person on CM and that everyone else MUST turn to you for guidance on internet ettiquette, even if you've only been a member for a week? It's a neat feature, been there forever.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/

Now, don't interpret this as my trying to tell people what they can and cannot post.  Of course we'll continue to see those same questions 5-6 times every day, and people will continue to point out the same obvious answers, that it's the internet, this isn't a support group, and disagreement is part of life, but I'm honestly curious why those rants don't go in journals where they'd make more sense and probably find a lot more sympathy?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in About CafeMom

• idk but since there isnt a like button I am bumping you. TY!

Answer by gemgem at 8:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, if this isn't a rhetorical question, I think I may have a couple of ideas about why they don't-

1) Many/most of the "everybody is so rude" posts are from newbies who haven't discovered the journals area
    2) The rudeness (most of it it anyway) that is being referenced is in the Answers section, so they post the bitch in the Answers section, which kinda makes sense
    3) Some of the venting posts are from regular members who hang out in the Answers section, so that's where they post it, because that's where they feel comfortable and feel like their friends are

Don't get me wrong--you know I'm not defending the whining, everybody is so mean to me, martyr posts. Just throwing out some reasons why I think we see them, day after day after day after day.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• maybe people assume they wont get as much views or answers if they post it in a journal? not sure. it seems more people hang around the answers section, so if you want to vent you get answers almost instantly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• bump

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 8:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Nope, not rhetorical, I actually am curious. And I do suspect this is a large part of it:

which is why I included the link. I just don't see the logic of it - if you're upset that you aren't getting the "right answers" or the answers aren't coming with the right tone, why ask another question just to antagonize people and get even more "bad" answers. Seems rather masochistic to me on a good day, but especially on days like today where we already have a half dozen of them on the first page and it's not even 9 AM.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I guess no one is allowed to have a different opinion without getting voted down

I think it's silly for you to assume that whatever dv's you received are about your disagreement and not about your attitude, declaring yourself the saviour of CM. There was no reason for you to include a 4th copy of your rant to go with the 3 questions you already have. It's also quite egotistical to assume this question is just about you, when you seem to ignore the other questions right below yours with variations on the same rant - variations which DO include the aspects that are missing from yours but are common in others. I'm not reading anything into YOUR questions, I'm summarizing all the questions, which come from dozens of people.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Bump
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Or a group, at least. I'm ok with ranting or whatever so long as it's not a page long and there actually IS a question, but it does irk me a little when there's a "This isn't a question, but..." kind of thing. I don't really care much, it's just when there are like 50 of them a day, they start to get old pretty fast. I wish people would use journals more because I enjoy reading them and trying to help out, or giving a mom a "Yay you!" when she accomplishes something, etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Oh please no go ahead, please tell me more about what you ASSUME i mean, or tone or intent. i was talking about ALL the damn negatives. not just mine. but i guess its easier for you to ASSUME I was only talking about mine. instead of ASKING, just JUDGE. Very nice. Each of my questions was a separate thought completely on the topic. in all honesty, would it have been so hard to discuss them instead of this? Would extending some kindness to the members of Cafemom who HAVE suffered at the hands of the bullying allowed on here have been THAT impossible for you to consider? apparently so. you could not be bothered to consider that many journal posts get few if any responses, whereas answers tends to get more and sooner. I like the feedback i got. so i am satisfied. how was i hurting you by having my own questions? i guess you just want to dictate how others feel, and the intent of their posts?
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 8:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• in all honesty, would it have been so hard to discuss them instead of this?

Seriously, it isn't all about you.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Mar. 21, 2011