i am going through a custody battle but i am dating a crimianl who is very good to my children what do i do

my sons father doesnt like him because he thinks he tookme from him

heather570

Asked by heather570 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Weather him being a criminal can effect your custody depends on what the crime was and how long ago and if he has really had time to change.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you are aware that he has a criminal background it could absolutely affect things, depending on what his crimes were. Is he still a criminal?? If you are aware that he is, and are still allowing him access to your children, then your husband will likely have a very good case against you.
    Anonymous

• Your stupid to date a criminal especially since you have kids. Do you actually hear how stupid that sounds...."I am dating a criminal but he's really good to my kids."
    Anonymous

• While anon @ 5:28 was a bit ruder than I will be, I do have to admit she has a point. Dating a criminal, personally, isn't something I would do under the best of circumstances, but especially not when I am engaged in a custody battle where my ex is going to dig for anything and everything he can find to use against me. Nothing makes you look better in court than being able to bring up that your ex has a criminal history or that they are dating/married to someone who does, and you don't, which is the position you're putting him in right now. If I were you, I'd cool the relationship for now, and perhaps find a lawyer to discuss the crimes this guy committed and how they could affect your situation.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008