What kinds of things should my son know at this point?

My son is three years old, and I think we are doing really well with teaching him things. I would like to know what others are teaching thier 3 year olds or what your three year old is doing or learning right now.

CountessMommy

Asked by CountessMommy at 3:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• learning and writing their ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes, learning how to write their name, teaching them to color in the lines, putting their own clothes on (although it may not be perfect..lol), you can even have them doing som excersises with you..like jumping jacks, arm circles, ect. I used to a be a preschool teacher, and this is what i taught my 3 year olds. but make sure you teach them in a fun way. like you can play games with the alphabet and numbers in it, do a color bag (get a bag and put things in it that are the same color, like red, and as you take them out, one by one, have them tell you what it is, i.e. red crayon, red toothbrush, red ball, ect.) also, science stuff. like sink or float (get a bucket or a big bowl and grab some of their toys, and ask them if they think if it's going to sink or float. then you can test it and see if they're right!) (cont)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• you can do crafts per letter, like A is for Alligator, you can do an alligator puppet with a brown plastic bag, B is for bear, C is for cat, or car, ect. you can also sing the song "The A says (say the a sound), the A says (say the A sound) every letter makes a sound, the A says (the a sound) or you can just get the leap frog video with that song in it. (i think it's called Alphabet factory), for shapes, you can cut some shapes out in different colors, (make 2 of each shape), tape one set onto a poster board and tape it on the wall, and as you go over the other set that you have, let your child match them if he is right. oh i have so many ideas!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Here is a link that tells you the standards for each grade level including preschool.

http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am a preschool teacher like the poster above...she took the words outta my mouth ;)

Just remember kids learn best while playing, they are too young to sit and study or do a worksheet. Keep it fun!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008