Pacifier?

We want to wean our DD off her pacifier at bedtime. If she looses it while she is sleeping it wakes her up, which in turn wakes us up. We have come up with pretty creative ideas to keep it in that aren't working as well since she is getting bigger. Currently she sleeps through the night about 11-12 hours. Any suggestions on how to break this habit?

coala

Asked by coala at 3:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let me know when you find an idea that works! DD is 3, and still takes it at night. She's only allowed to have it IN HER BED.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i just learned to pop it back in my sons mouth and go back to sleep. eventually he got to the age where he would just grab it and put it back in his mouth himself.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• oh, and i highly recommend the binky because it reduces the risk of SIDS
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm sorry to report that we just recently had to go cold turkey and deal with a lot of tears at bedtime. After about a week of misery for all involved, he started to cool down a bit, but now he's sick and needing extra comfort, and so we're back to a half hour of sobbing twice a day. It royally sucks. But he was chewing through them and it was dangerous, so it had to be done rather suddenly.

You might try giving her something else as a security item for a few weeks before taking away the paci. That way she has another source of comfort available. We use a small stuffed elephant, and I can hear him kissing it over the monitor when he wakes up every morning. It's so cute.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am not sure if she is old enough, but this is what we did. We told me son that the Binky Fairy was going to come and take his binkies. He went around the house and collected all of them. Then we put them under his pillow. The Binky Fair came and left him a little present. he was 4 at the time.

I think that if the only time she is using it is to sleep then I might just let her ween herself. Try not giving it to her at nap time and see if that works.

Sorry I can not be more help. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Oh, I didn't realize she is only 4 months old. I guess I wouldn't put a stuffed animal in her crib at that age. And armywife43 is right about SIDS. At that point my son was still sleeping in our room, and I just got really good at popping the paci back in his mouth without waking up all the way.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Can I ask...what does dd mean? or dh?
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 3:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Darling Daughter and Darling Husband

At 4 months old why do you want to take away her pacifier? She is still sucking for comfort at that age...

Not trying to bash you, just trying to understand...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• We went cold turkey with my duaghter at 17 months. She only cried for 2 or 3 minutes and went right to sleep after that. I also introduced a stuffed animal a few weeks before we took it away, so there would still be that comfort there. But like other said, with her being so young the pacifier is supposed to help with the risk of SIDS and if he's only take it at night, it's not too big a problem. Just pop it back in and let her sleep some more. Once she's moving around she'll be able to find it herself and put it back in.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• She still likes to be swaddled and is getting to big for us to find positions to help hold it in her mouth. I just didn't know if there were any creative solutions on how to break the habit. I don't want to let her cry it out. We were thinking that we should break the paci before we break the swaddle because she knocks the paci out of her mouth and then gets angry because she can't get it back.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008