You can survive without it.

If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it.
Dalai Lama

How many of you agree? I absolutely do. I do not have a particular faith or religion rather I find it within. I see many truths in what others say. Dalai Lama even goes to say "
All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives."

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Agree!

When I study texts like the Dhammapada or Tao Te Ching or even read quotes from people like the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, MLK Jr, Ghandi, Jesus, and others, it's like getting sound advice from an OLD FRIEND. I would survive without it and would essentially still be the same person without it, but I think studying religions can help us find our inner peace and wisdom--rather than truly 'teaching' us anything absolute. Of course, we can find this on our own (and many do), but we might be more effective and efficient at if we take some of this advice.

In a way, we're all 'climbing a mountain' as a metaphor for experience, and all anyone else can do is when they 'teach' is to show others what they've seen so far. "...you share with other climbers your knowledge from farther up so that they may have some benefit from you have learned so far on your own ascent."~Jon Kabat-Zinn
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Agree
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I find it to be a beautiful quote in a way you know?
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree
    Aries_1

Answer by Aries_1 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Ya agreed. This belief might take form in love for someone special..... :-)
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Of course. If not, we'd all disappear before we ever found one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• mirrori am me. i TRY to be good according to my conscience...our conscience varies though. funny huh?

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I do and don't agree. I think it depends on the person. Many of us could survive without the belief we currently hold, if for instance it didn't exist, but would we not hold ANY belief? I don't think so. I think the majority of us who hold deep religious or spiritual beliefs would still have SOME form of belief. Why? Because those of us who have actively sought out belief are those of us who need to have that understanding, we need to have our questions answered and we aren't willing to simply stand aside and let someone else answer those questions... I mean, that's WHY religion or belief itself came along in the first place, because people weren't willing to go without answers and actively sought them. So yes, I think we can go without THE beliefs we hold, but I don't think we could go without BELIEFS. And let me state, too, that that includes non-religious beliefs as well, science is a belief system! Ignorance is NOT bliss!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:18 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I thin you might be missing the point Sabrina but maybe I am. Either way...it makes you think I think it is simply stating that you don't have to have a specific faith or religion in order to survive. I do not see that it includes all beliefs. Everyone believes in something. That is a given.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Oh, I agree. I know I could survive without religion - to be honest I'm not even really religious anyway. I tend to be more spiritual, in terms of having faith, but not acting it out in a religious setting (not an avid church goer, for example). I also agree that most of the religions carry the same basic message, and that it is possible to grasp and live this message without religion or even belief.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2011