Why give pardons to people who commit crimes? Should we do away with it?

I am for one sick of presidents being able to pardon people for the crimes they have done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No I dont think they should be done away with. Some pardons are needed since there are times people are convicted of a lame crime and get a sentence that far outweighs the crime itself. Not to mention what about the actions after the crime and sentence are committed? Say a scientist gets a DUI and might know the cure to cancer or some other disease and cant get a job in that field because he has a criminal charge. Stuff like that is how they are supposed to weigh things.
    Anonymous

• We where just talking about this class and i was wondering why do they do them............period!!!!!
    Anonymous

• i think they should get the same treatment as everyone else... thats not right to let them break laws and get away with it... if they don't have to follow them why should i?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm not too sure about the technical details behind pardons, meaning who gets them, the extent of their crimes and why they get them. I do feel that people should be held accountable for their actions, and not entirely absolved of their law-breaking record.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• OKAY.. I DONT SEE THE POINT OF A PARDON. I REALLY DONT THINK ITS FAIR. I BELIEVE THAT SINCE THEY DID THE CRIME THEY HAVE TO PAY THE TIME. AND I SEE IT WRONG.. I DONT KNOW THATS JUST MY OPINION. I THINK THAT IF SOMEONE WAS MURDERED THEY SHOULD BE SENTENCED TO DEATH PENALTY, IF SOMEONE IS RAPED SOMEONE WILL GET THEIR ASS IN PRISON SOONER OR LATER. IF YOU DID SOMETHING PAY FOR IT YOU KNOW?! THATS JUST MY WAY OF LOOKING AT IT, I DONT THINK ITS FAIR THAT PEOPLE ARE BEING PARDONED! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• MommaBear1129 OKAY.. I DONT SEE THE POINT OF A PARDON. I REALLY DONT THINK ITS FAIR. I BELIEVE THAT SINCE THEY DID THE CRIME THEY HAVE TO PAY THE TIME.
    **************************************
    I agree with you. I'm totally against pardoning these criminals.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 6:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• If you don't believe in pardons than you should question Bill Clinton about his pardoning of Mark Rich.
    Anonymous

• I don't know why my early anon response was reported. Ludacris DOES ask Obama for a pardon in his rap song, if, he's ever thrown in the slammer! why should that be people? we all know right from wrong, and yes, most rap songs give the impression that more wrong is happening and accepted. Why is this sooo taboo?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2008