Do you have a relative that assumes just because you're related...

That you are on their beck and call to watch their kids? Or that since you're a SAHM and must be eating Bon Bons and you could use the cash, that you should be their kids babysitter despite your feelings? I have one of those (DS) and it drives me crazy. I'm at home because I have chronic pain and try to devote my time to my small business but because I'm physically here, she assumes that I must be able to watch her kids in my "spare time". She's even said that you can do your art whenever and do it while they nap. Uh, thanks for planning my life out for me. That is not the way a small business works, especially an art-related one...creativity strikes at different times. Not to mention that I create around my aches and pains. Ugghhh. Can anyone relate to feeling like your being walked all over just because you share DNA?

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My MIL felt this way about her daughter doing it to her. She worked from home and her daughter never understood that she wasn't just "home available", why she couldn't watch her kids. It caused some tension. I work from home as well and though I'm not that close to my family distance-wise, I have friends who think I can just drop and get together anytime I want because I'm at home.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have a SIL who thinks that, and I don't get paid for babysitting.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would make them believe that I was just SWAMPED with projects from my business!! What with that along with caring for your own children AND getting a business off the ground -- you would JUST LOVE to help -- but darnit -- you just don't have the time! Sooooo sorry! G'luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Some ppl take others for granted...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Don't let this happen. Put your foot down and think of your needs first. I had a friend like that, not a relative. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2011