Toddler fracture?

So my daughter (3 1/2) was jumping on the trampoline when all of the sudden she starts screaming and holding her leg. We look her to the ER when she wouldn't stop crying that evening. ER did an xray of her knee since that is where she said it hurt. Can back as nothing but swelling so they called it a sprain and sent us home. The next day she wouldn't walk at all on it. That evening she was whining and fussing about everything so I took a look at her leg and it had doubled in size along with her ankle and foot. We took her back to the ER and they did an xray of her foot...sent us back home saying the same...swelling and a sprain. The ONLY play they didn't xray was her shin. Now she is crawling around and trying to play but won't actually walk or put any pressure on it. When I ask her were it hurts when I make her stand...she says her knee and points to her shin. So could this be a toddler fracture? Should I wait it out a few more days or take her to the Orthopedic Dr. like the ER suggested? Not sure what to do here. Don't want to spend more money on something that may heal on its own...but also don't want to wait it out if it is a toddler fracture because I was reading she will need a cast. Anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sometimes severe swelling can hide a fracture. If it is just a sprain then it should start feeling better. If she can't or wont walk on after a few days then take her to a Ortho specialist. Better safe than sorry. Hope she feels better soon.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• As an ED nurse I have seen children with sprains and fractures, kids hate to do something that hurts...think about when they get shots they cry even before the shot because they think it will hurt. Sprains and Strains actaully often times hurt more than a fracture. I would call your childs peditrician and talk to them they know your child better than an ED Doctor or an ortho, they may have some ideas of what to do. Have you been using any ice or cold packs to the area to help reduce swelling? This is a big part of sprains and strains getting better. Hope she feels better soon!
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• The same thing happened to my DD when she was about 2 -- I took her to her pedi, who immediately referred us to an orthopedic place, they took x-rays and said nothing was broke, but she had a "hair-line" fracture on her forearm. That doctor said that ordinarily they do not put casts' on hairline fractures, but they did because she favored it so much. She wore a cast for 3 weeks (which was a pain during bathtime and stuff) and when they took it off -- her arm was perfectly well. I would insist that they giver her some sort of support because it seems to be hurting her so bad! G'luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My dd fractured her elbow when playing on the trampoline (she had just turned 4) and it is pretty easy to spot a frature. My other kids have hurt themselves without breaking anything and it swells and they would have a hard time using it (whether leg, arm etc). The ER and pediatricians have always told me spraining something with severe swelling can sometimes both look worse and feel worse then a break can. My dd didnt even cry when she broke her elbow.

Answer by gemgem at 10:22 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If she can't put any pressure at all. yes, I would take her back. And have them look at the shin . But it is true what berryhappy1971 said sometimes the swellings are so huge that its pretty hard to see the fracture Is the swelling going down. any ? .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:34 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If she's crawling on her knees then I doubt it's a fracture in her knee, that probably was just a strain... but have them look at her shin just to be sure she didn't fracture that (although they should have xrayed the entire area, but I know how those people can be, I had a broken bone in my hand, and because I thought it was my thumb, they didnt xray the bone right beneath my thumb in my hand.. I did break my thumb, but also fractured the bone in my hand, which wasn't looked at until a few days later at my reg. doctors suggestions because of the way the swelling and bruising was).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2011