Are there any activities that I might can do for my 4yr old?

My 4yr old granddaugther is having issues with not having her parents in her life at this time,and she lives with me for about a yr.. I have her in daycare when I am working but other than that I would enjoy doing other things with her,I like go to the park,but we do things together on the two days I am off from work.I am on a limited budget,and I would like to find something that I can get her into that does not cost alot of money.does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Aries_1

Asked by Aries_1 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you do any kind of crafts, like quilting, knitting, or crocheting, you could introduce her to those, or if you have beads, you can teach her about patterns and have her make a bracelet with you :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If you are looking for classes you might try your local parks & recreation. Where I live they have classes that range from free to about $20 per month. They have all types of sports, dance, gymnastics, arts, cooking, etc. Sharing your own hobbies/interests is also a great idea. You can also look for free local events. Libraries and museums often have special programs for kids, and they are often free.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Check to see if there is a Macaroni Kid in your area.  They send out e-mails on a weekly basis full of things you can do with children.  Contact the local library...they very well may have a play time, story time, or craft time that you could attend.  Maybe also contact local dance/tumbling studios, you may find one that has a very inexpensive class she might like to take.

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Check with your local Parks and Recreation Dept. for sports. Most places start Soccer and T-ball for this age group and registration is usually only $30-$40 for the season. Look for Story times at your local library. Check the YMCA in your area as well, they often have reduced rates based on income and offer tons of opportunities for her age group.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Kimedbs' idea of T-Ball or Soccer is a good one, but FYI...I signed DD up for T-Ball. Registration was $40. With uniforms and such, we left paying $71. And THEN we had to buy a helmet, a glove, shoes....which has added up to over $60.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Family Fun magazine is always full of fun, inexspensive things to do. If you don't want to get a subscription you can find it at the library
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Your local library story hour and a library card. Kids love having their own library card and checking out a book
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• (1) The library will usually have a story and craft hour. . . for free!

(2) Children's museums are great fun!

(3) Nature hikes with PB & J picnics can be great for quality time and to get energy out!

(4) Crafts.

(5) You can buy a CD of children's silly songs from the dollar store and do a silly dance time.

(6) Church group activities

(7) Bubbles! An afternoon of entertainment

(8) Volunteer to walk dogs at a local no-kill shelter.

(9) A jump rope and hula hoop can be a good investment for the summer

(10) On rainy days, eat lunch ahead of time and go to Chic Fil A (with an indoor playground) for an ice cream

(11) Visit the lake at a local campground.

(12) A public splash park can be lots of fun. If that is too pricey, invite her day care friends over and put on a sprinkler. Serve hot dogs and cookies and you have an instant party
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 1:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• (13) Wash the car. Kids love it!

(14) Teddy bear picnics in the yard or the playground

(15) Trying calling the Boys and Girls Club. They may have some ideas.

(16) Look for an online play group. It will get her wiggles out and the moms can share some of the other fun stuff in the area.

(17) Ask to "tour" a Krispy Kreme. They give tours for free here.

(18) Ask the YMCA rec center. They may have low priced children's gym classes

(19) Invite her friends over once a week for a "music lesson." Use pots and pans and water bottles filled with pennies to rock along to songs. Introduce songs of different genres (eg rock, country, musicals, rock-a-billy) to give them exposure. End each "class" with a parade.

(20) Check craigslist for a free swingset. . . or place an add explaining your situation. You would be surprised at who might respond.

(21) Call your city and ask about cit
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 1:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011