Pagans "Reclaiming" the term Warlock?

Okay, this is something which came up after the now infamous "warlock" statement by Charlie Sheen... As a group of self proclaimed warlocks announced they would be attending his show and doing some healing work in an effort to help him achieve peace and health. I made the statement on my blog's FB page of "who calls themselves a warlock?" and someone sent me this blog about how the term is in fact a positive thing...

This is not something which I have personally (although trust me I will be) researched. But I was wondering if those of you with this knowledge or at least a basic understanding of the term could take a look and let me know what you think.

Please note This is NOT my blog. Yes it has the same title, but we (the author and I) did not descover each other until AFTER we both had our blogs...
http://onewitchsway.com/2011/02/warlock-isnt-a-dirty-word-pt-2/

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    when u come on here and rant about xians
    is it because of people ticking u off
    on ur blog
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Anon, what exactly are you talking about?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• – collapse
    ur xian rants u
    have weekly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Huh that's interesting. I'll look into it some, too, but I don't have time right now. I guess it's just another "derogatory" term taking on a positive meaning (like "gay" and other terms that refer to homosexuality, "bitch," as in "I'm THE bitch," "Witch," etc.).

And seriously, when the hell have you ranted about Christians on here? I usually follow your posts (don't worry, I'm not stalking you lol, it's just that your posts usually catch my eye), and I don't recall seeing you EVER say anything really bad about them. Maybe stating things which you disagree with them about, but never "ranting" about them. Guess anon just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• – collapse
    eh I agree w/anon 1. She rants a bit about Christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Well, no Pagan I know would claim themselves to be a warlock. In the tradition that I was taught "warlock" came from a gaelic word meaning "betrayer" or "traitor" usually referring to a faith/believe system.

Charlie Sheen is full of it and doesn't know what he is talking about. He is going to crash and crash hard.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:09 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Okay, first of all anon, if you are going to try and attack someone at least show a slight amount of intelligence and speak in full sentences. Second of all, I don't have Christian (this is how you spell it) rants. I do my best to post thought provoking questions about religious organizations - and if you have ever paid attention I don't just post about Christianity, but I have posted about many paths, including Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Atheism, Paganism (of course) and just about whatever other path or point I am currently researching or studying...

As for people "ticking me off" on my blog. My followers are wonderful and respectful. And no one has ever "ticked me off." If they would, I would simply contact them and work things out. I have no need to air our issues here. However, there are occasionally questions which come up which make good questions or conversations outside of my blog or FB.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know you're stalking me, Mrs. Bat! Don't lie! lol

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have looked into it, but not deeply. I usually associate the term with Hollyweird fantasies. Interesting blog ... will have to go back and read it fully later.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• What I think is interesting is that growing up I always associated the word warlock with a male witch. Then I came to MA and watched charmed and saw that the called demos warlocks. I always thought the series was just wrong. To me a warlock has always been a male witch. Just like there is Sorcerer and Sorceress.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 10:31 AM on Mar. 21, 2011