My son is 4 years old, he just changed to another class(pre-k). He starts crying everyday day before he go to the school, i feel so bad. He doesn't want to be in the new class, he wants to go back to the previous classroom. what should i do? i need help. He moved up to the new class since 3/7, he was fine on the first week. But i think the teacher is very rough on him, since last week he starts telling me he doesn't want to go to school. the school is daycare center type.

jichai

Asked by jichai at 10:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wait it out...give him a week or two to adjust. Sometimes it is a LOT for them. I went through the same thing but after the second week my dd was excited to go.
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 10:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, give him time to adjust and then help him work through any of his feelings about changing the class. Once you're sure nothing is wrong with the class itself or the teacher, then all you can do is be there for him as he adjusts. Life is full of change and adjustment, the better you can help him cope with it as he grows, the better off he'll be in life.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Guess what, its okay, mine did the same thing, and I also felt like maybe she's not ready for pre-k.yet, But her teacher said that right after I left a couple minutes later she was fine, she stopped crying, and started havingfun in pre-k; with all her little friends. But mine didn't start her crying till I got her in her class room, and said my good bye.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'd definitely wait. He hasn't had a chance to get used to the new class, and as soon as he does, I'm sure you'll see a change in his behavior. I know it's hard, but he does have to learn to adjust- I wish someone had made me learn when I was younger.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Ugh -- We go through the same thing every year when it's time to move up a class. Fortunatly, most of my DD's friends also move up to another teacher with us, so that makes it a little easier. Maybe try and help him bond with another child in the classroom? IS there anyone that lives near you or that you can schedule a playdate with? It seems that having an ally in the class always helps my daughter:-) G'luck mom -- this too shall pass!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I am so glad that you asked this question. My son will be moving classrooms for the first time in the Fall. He hates changes and I am concerned that it will be a tough transition. I am looking forward to using the suggestions in the responses to your questions.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 10:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Is this like in a daycare center type setting? We actually had to pull my son out because he couldn't transition and he wasn't ok the 5 mintues after I left and every day he would beg me not to take him to school and he socially was going backwards, we put him in an in home and he is literally like a new child.. I am scared to see what happens when ti comes to preschool and real school- he has anxiety and gets pretty over whelmed in over stimulated /social settings.. good luck mommy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• try asking WHY he doesn't like the new setting, sometimes a new setting means a new group of kids and there could be a problem child giving him grieve, so make sure that's not an issue first. Give him about a week to adjust.. otherwise
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:21 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He moved up to the new class since 3/7, he was fine on the first week. But i think the teacher is very rough on him, since last week he starts telling me he doesn't want to go to school. the school is daycare center type.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Ask him questions. Talk to the teacher. Ask the teacher if he cries during class, I know my daughter used to cry before she left for school (she goes to a school that comes to get her on a bus) but would not cry in school. If you are worried about what's going on in his class try dropping in for a surprise visit and maybe peek through the door so he doesn't see you but you can see what is going on.
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 12:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011