Increasing supply

My DD is 2 1./2 months and I'm struggling getting her to eat until she's satisfied from me. She'll nurse and then need 2-3 oz from a bottle (formula). I hate the we have to supplement! I work full time, so I pump during the day. I have sufficient break time to pump and a great, quiet location to pump. Each time I pump I can only get about 3oz, and that's with a double electric pump. I've been drinking the mother's milk tea for a few weeks now, eating oatmeal everyday, and looking at her pictures while pumping. What else can I do? I really want to cut the formula out completely! Thank you.

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 10:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When it seems that nothing is coming out, you put her back to the breast. It will stimulate let down, and although the flow may not be as fast as she is used to, the milk IS there. If she's taking 2-3 oz of formula AFTER nursing, I think she's being overfed. 3 oz pump output is ABOVE average, BTW. Here's the scoop. If you're nursing, on demand, without supplements, and you're changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, your supply is fine and baby is getting enough.
    For when you are apart, she needs 1 to 1.25 oz of breast milk per hour of separation. How long are you apart when you are at work? How often are you pumping while you are at work?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It can be tough when you're working, but there are ways to leep your supply up. Pump after you nurse. Even if you don't get anything the stimulation will trigger you to make more milk. Also, you can do a "power hour" if you have the time. Pump for 10 minutes and take a 10 minute break. Pump for 10 minutes, 10 minute break. Pump for another 10 minutes. Do this for 3 days in a row.
    Good luck
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:17 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You're making it harder on yourself by supplementing Do NOT look for "satisfied." Being satisfied is not baby's business. Put her to breast. LEAVE her there ill she comes off on her own, no timing. Burp. Offer the other side. Repeat till she zonks out.

SHE is your best booster. Nothing you take will help without doing the above.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:32 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• u can try fenugreek 3pills 3 times a day! how much water r u drinking? i do about a gallon a day or more! and nurse nurse nurse! u should sit in bed all next weekend and just nurse ur dd!!! and 3oz while pumping is good!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Not everyone can nurse without supplementing. I would try the above recommendation of drinking lots of water. What I do want to say is dont stress out if you have to continue to supplement. You are bonding with your baby and providing immunity but nursing as much as you can. This is awesome. Do not become discouraged. Hang in there.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Only hospital grade pumps are designed to increase supply. You might want to see about renting one. If you rent one that's the same brand as your pump, the kit should be compatible with the one you have. You might also want to pump the other side while nursing DD to help increase supply. Getting in another pumping session 'after work' could help too, but it'll be hard to find the time.

Do keep in mind that it will take 3 - 4 days to increase your supply by one feeding.  It can be done!  I went from having one DS who was EBF while his twin brother was bottle fed to having two that were EBF.  It did take a few weeks.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• keep pumping.. the more you pump the more you'll produce. I went sort of flat for a while and had to sub, but just kept pumping and within a month my supply nearly doubled lol.

be sure you are taking your prenatals still as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Gdiamante -

I can see why you say that, but what do I do when she yanks away when there's nothing coming out after about 5 min?
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Thank you ladies!
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Thank you Krysta622!
    I work four 10 hour days, so I we are apart 10.5 hrs tues-fri. I pump at work every three hours and once again on the ride home (my husband drives). Her doctor says 5oz at one time from a bottle is okay as long as she keeps it down, which she does, even when my husband helps out and feeds her, it stays down. When she yanks her mouth away I have her latch on about 5 more times and each time she yanks away, then we go to the other breast, and the same thing happens. She gets real fussy,weI try to let that settle for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of fussing, instinct tells me she's still hungry so I attempt to get her to nurse again and she wants nothing to do with it. I do get the "big" letdown when she first starts after about 10-15 seconds, at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is, milk shoots out like crazy and I feel a big pressure in both breasts, but that is the only time during feeding.
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011