Curly hair after losing it from Chemo?

I lost every single hair on my body. Hair on my head is now 3" inches Thick & curly. I had Stick straight hair all my life! Does anyone know why it comes back so curly and different colors? I wish I knew how to handle/style it! I feel like I got a Bad perm and this new me isn't lovable. I'd love and appreciate any tips or ideas. I can't afford to see a hair dresser. We're jobless here. And I'm in unbearable pain. But somehow when I had my beautiful good hair days. I felt better. Do you get that? Thank you for reading and replying if you care to!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 10:16 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I have not heard of hair growing back different after chemo, hopefully someone else can answer that one for you.

But as for how your hair is now, it seems to be like my daughter's hair. It needs to be a little longer before it has any real shape to it. Condition it well and don't brush it when it's dry.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My neice is now in remission, she had luekemia (I think that may be spelled wrong) she went through chemo for 2 years, lost all of her hair just as you described. Her hair that used to be stick strait is now so curly! You are not alone :) as your hair grows more it will become more manageable and you will be able to do more with it. I want to send you a hug because you are a very strong woman :) going through chemo is awful and look at you, you have made it. ((Hugs!!)) And smiles.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I commend u with everything ur going thru! ur a strong person an i know u will continue, hopes an prayer's out to u an ur family!!
    Maybe get some cloth head bands that go all the way around ur head ( kind of like sweat bands) an those may help u out till ur hair grows out some more??
    heiditr

Answer by heiditr at 10:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes you are amazzing. I had radeation for a brain toumer 4 years ago. I lost some if my hair on the side i had it on. It started graing back a little stubs by Cristmas that same year. It can look a differnt as it grws back. then it is usally get the same as it was. Whis you the best.
    Dawn_Wolfie

Answer by Dawn_Wolfie at 11:26 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I totally get what you're saying. It must be hard, on top of all the other stuff you have to deal with right now, to not be able to fall back on something that was once so fundamentally a part of YOU - taking pride in the beauty of your hair.

As your hair grows out, the texture may change a little. While it's short, you probably need a good moisturizing conditioner that's designed for course curly hair. (My hair has always been curly and course.) I like Pantene, but there are several good brands.

Check your area for hairdressers that specialize in working with cancer patients. Not all areas have them, but if there is one near you, they often will work with you for reduced price, or give some help for free. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011