Anyone notice the use of 'hoarding'?

Just curious if anybody else has noticed the media's sudden love of the word 'hoarding'? I have heard it from many media outlets (liberal and conservative) and am sort of wondering what is defined as hoarding? Like today, I was watching Shepard Smith on Fox and he was talking to someone about the economy and people spending money this holiday season. He mentioned (not SS, but the other guy) that 'people have been hoarding for the last couple of months because of the uncertainty of our economy, and they are starting to see a trend that people are now starting to spend that money they hoarded on the great deals that are to be found'. Of course, I am paraphrasing, but this was the meat of his statement. So, how much money do you have to be saving for it to be considered hoarding? For instance, is saving money for my children's education considered hoarding?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It sounds like they are trying to blame the economic crisis on middle class Americans for "horading" their money when in reality there simply isn't this money to hoard. Yes we are looking for great deals. Because that is all most people can afford. Most are trimming down their holiday buying to just bare essentials. But "hoarding" sounds way off from what is really happening.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would call it saving. Hoarding sounds more like a guilt word to get you to go out and spend spend spend.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Yeah, I was starting to get that too. But it seems so irresponsible. I know the definition of hoarding, but it has a negative connotation to it. Who wants to be a hoarder? I would rather be called a 'collector of dollar bills'.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• That's what I think they are getting at- using the word "hoarding" to make you feel guilty for having something saved and you are a bad person for having money saved so instead, you are some sort of miser and should be out spending all of your "collection of dollar bills" instead of saving it, or hoarding it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I don't see how money can be hoarded, it is call savings. When I think of a hoarder I think of someone who doesn't throw anything way, where their house is just a trash pit and they have a psychological disorder. I've never seen one of those talk shows go in and find money laying all over a house to call it hoarding. People who don't spend money are doing one thing, saving it.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I think when they are talking about is instead of spending it anymore everyone is stashing it and not putting it into the economy.
    The people that used to go buy the latest "thing" are no longer doing that as much. At least that is what I take of it.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 4:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• it's better than the phrase 'game changer.'
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Wow. They can make something as remarkable and intelligent like SAVING YOUR MONEY into a bad thing can't they?? And by "they" I mean the media. Maybe people have just gotten smarter and instead of spending their hard earned money on every random thing they are actually saving it for things NEEDED not necessarily WANTED.
    Anonymous

• I agree. We are such a disposable nation. I'm no greenie, myself, but I tend to buy things that waste the least amount of resources (as long as it's cost effective). I've never been the kind to get caught up with buying for the sake of buying, but I know many people that are that way. I would love to do something to invest our money, but with the market being what it is right now and the govt. buying shares of everything, I don't really feel safe doing that. Not like we have a lot to invest, but we all like to see our seeds grow. I just find it surprising that this is a new term the media (all of them) are using to manipulate our spending habits. Other countries complain about Americans being huge consumers, but as we are seeing, it makes a difference on their bottom line as well. They make money from us too.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Wow, it used to be called saving.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2008