Help for this?

I just can't find something that works for back talk, snottieness!!! I have tried a dab of soap in the mouth, taking some and then all of electronics away, sending her to her room. Taking time away from her friends. Maybe I'm not taking them away long enough??? Isn't a week long enough? What works??? I have talked to her till I'm blue in the face about her attitude. She does this too (I wonder to get attention I think in front of friends) and it's embarrasing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• That snottiness is part of the territory, ignore it as long as it is not disrespectful, try giving her extra chores to do that she absolutely hates, aside from the grounding, and make it two weeks, and stick yo your guns.....

Answer by older at 10:48 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would tell her she will not live under my roof living like that. We have shitty neighbors, when my kids act like brats, I tell them to get out and go live with the heathens next door if they want to act like them. It works.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You might have to resort to what my parents did, spanking.

What do you do if she does it in front of her friends? The image her friends have of her is very important to her. Have you punished her right in front of her friends?

Do you "go at it" with her? When she talks back, do you argue with her? You might need to implement an immediate response to the talk back. Don't argue with her,. Immediately remove her from the situation/activity and implement the punishment.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 10:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• dalimonster is right.. yelling back does nothing but create a worse problem.

Try guilt trip instead. (when my mom and I use to argue, my dad would step in and guilt trip us both).

Pull her aside away from the situation (and friends). Then just talk with her.. "why are you angry with me?" "It breaks my heart everytime you talk to me that way, because I love you soo much" "I understand you are growing up, and want to do certain things, but if you want to be adult, we will have to work on speaking like an adult, so lets talk. Tell me what the matter is, and we will discuss a mutual way to work through it in a calm manner like adults"

Things like this are really the only way to work through them with a teen. Too much punishment with a teen in these cases will have them more resentful.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:08 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• ok im 19. im not that far away from those ages.
    when my mom told me to do something...i didnt do it just to piss her off. when i did something...it was to piss her off. i didnt care if i upset her or made her cry. i was rebellious.
    i dont have alot of advice....but its just a stage and you are not alone!! :)
    compramise...get her away from the situation and talk it out with her.
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 12:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It depends on how you're talking to her and it also depends on how you discipline her. If taking things away from her isn't working then there are other solutions you can try before it gets worse. Consistency, as you know is the key and being able to communicate with your child is also a necessary tool. She's sassing and its for a reason and you as the parent should put a stop to it.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Have you asked her why she is disrespectful towards you?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011