Cries only around my mom

Everytime my 3 month old son sees or even hears my mother he goes into a hysterical fit. He does not do this with anyone else. The other day we were at a birthday party and my neighbor whom he has never met before asked if she could hold him, I said sure and told her that if he starts crying dont take it personally. He ended up falling asleep in her arms. Yesterday we were at my inlaws for St.Pats dinner and he had a blast, practically passed around the table.

I know that it must hurt my mothers feelings, and I feel terrible over it. She has asked me several times if he does this with my MIL. I smile and say " He does this with everyone, hes just a mommas boy"

She doesnt do anything different then anyone else, talks in a sweet voice, etc. Any advice or techniques that anyone can suggest to try and get this fear or phase over with??

JNLmomme09

Asked by JNLmomme09 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Have you ever left him alone with your mother?
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It might be the perfume your mom wears that triggers this. The sound of her voice might remind the baby about the smell, etc.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 10:53 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• She has never babysat him but I will leave her alone with him when she tries to change him or rock him to sleep. She thought it was the glasses that she wears but my six year old wears glasses, He has never seen my mother with out her glasses. I have heard of the perfume, and think could be it.
    JNLmomme09

Comment by JNLmomme09 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My kids where the same with my MIL she had a bad perm and whore large glasses.

Some people just look scary to kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:00 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• my daughter did the same thing to my father lol he eventually won her over with soda maybe its just my parents lol
    JNLmomme09

Comment by JNLmomme09 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Some babies just do this with some people. It really can't be helped, but you can allow your baby to have some time with your mom to get used to her, at first with you holding her, and then moving along as she progresses. It won't last forever :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My 16 month old son freaks out every time he sees my husband's aunt. It may be her voice, which tends to be shrill, or the fact that she always insists on holding him. My best advice is to be as low key as possible and let your son approach your mom...maybe hold him while she talks to him, etc. It may take some time but he'll eventually grow out of it.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My dd did this with my sister. I thought it was because she wore glasses. But I allowed my dd to spend the night with my sister and from that day to this day, she's my dd's favorite aunt...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It too shall pass. Tell her keep trying but not too hard. I believe that in the womb if you have certain feelings about someone or tortally dislike them your child picks up on the negative energy. That's probably it. The child will grow to love a person that intends to do well by him/her.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• kids n babies definitely have vibes on certain ppl thats not right....most of the time
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011