Springing from the DP and Abortion questions...

If a person is pro-choice and also anti-death penalty, how are those two positions reconcilable?

Mom2Just1Kiddo

Asked by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:01 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You can be pro-choice and not necessarily agree with abortion.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:05 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• True and I considered asking this question. But I think the answer is easier - the adult facing the death penalty made decisions leading to that end. The baby, well....????

Killing is killing. Do the 10 commandments make exceptions? is a life still a life?

I am not pro-choice because I want people to have abortions. I am pro-choice because it isn't my job to make someone else's medical decisions

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• "All of the answers to any question on this forum will be the Way the Person Answering Sees It. That would be the entire point and everyone could respond in the above quoted fashion to any point they happen to disagree with."

You're right. But, my intention was to address that just because one person sees it one way, does not mean that we should try to take any choices away from people who may see it differently. Or bash them or judge for seeing it differently.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Same can go the other way...

If a person is pro-life and also pro-death penalty, how are those two positions reconcilable?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:13 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• The death penalty is assisted suicide. A criminal chooses to commit a crime knowing the dp is applicable. A child does no such thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It's none of my business when someone chooses whats best for them. I could never abort myself, but it's not my place to try and take that choice away for someone else who might want one. I'm not going to play god & tell others what is right & wrong. We all come from different walks, we all have different beliefs. What is my opinion is not someone elses. That is why i am pro-choice. I believe people are smart enough to make decisions for themselves without others telling them what they should or shouldn't be doing & why. People have the right to make choices for themselves, regardless what others choose believe.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• "The way I see it is that a baby is a baby from the moment of conception. Just because the term of "fetus" is used makes it no less a baby. A baby is innocent and has done nothing wrong. Too many people use abortion for birth control when there are so many other options out there for that baby. Hence, I am pro-life"

Great, but that is just the way you see it. Not everyone sees it that way & they have that right. People are always saying "Too many people use abortion for birth control" While this may be a bit true, i don't know a single person who uses it as birth control. I have a few friends who have had them & it devastated them & no...they didn't use it for birth control. It annoys me when people say that, as if anyone who gets one has already had 5. I can betcha, more woman have only had 1 than more than 1. They are not cheap & insurance rarely covers it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:28 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• A fetus is alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you don't kill living things!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:39 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I am not against either.

I am pro-choice because I feel this is a private matter that must be decided by the woman in question, with the help of her doctor and, possibly, her partner.

I have mixed feelings about the death penalty. In cases where there is absolute evidence that the accused is guilty, and that there is no doubt, whatsoever, I am not opposed--as long as it is carried out swiftly, and taxpayer money is not used to carry on a long appeal. I'd rather have the accused be imprisoned with the basics for survival--no entertainment, simple food, basic hygiene, etc., but no comforts beyond a bed. I see no reason to coddle inmates and provide them with luxuries that many honest and law-abiding citizens can't afford.

However, to compare a woman's right to decide what happens with her body to the death penalty of a convicted killer is apples to oranges to me.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That is a totally ridiculous analogy to compare these two issues. How do they even fit in the same sentence??

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:56 AM on Mar. 21, 2011