Severe anemia afer birth - Any clue when I'll be able to exercise?

Before I got pregnant with my 6th child (gave birth a week ago) I was losing weight. I had lost about 50 pounds and still have another 80 to go. I was doing the Couch to 5K program until I was just too pukey to run. Typically my doctor will clear you to exercise 4 weeks post partum but I was anemic before the baby was born and then I bled A LOT at delivery and I'm very anemic now. I have my first post partum appointment this week and I'm going to discuss with him how horrid, weak, shakey I'm still feeling and if we have anything else we can do besides just taking my prenatals. But anyway, do you think he'll clear me for exercise so I can start running again 4 weeks post partum? Anybody have any experience with this? I'm anxious to start exercising again, yet, I have to be well enough to take care of 6 children.

Dabberdoo

Asked by Dabberdoo at 11:06 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• you could get an over the counter iron tablet to take, i have to take iron daily or i'm a mess....i get one called SlowFe, it is easy on the stomach and works really good, it may take a week for you to feel better from taking it but i highly reccomend you try it :) gl i hope you feel better :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No cardio! It could kill you and i am not joking, it happened to me, you could do little weight training things but nothing that gets your heart racing your heart will have to work twice as hard to pump your blood since you have very little. Be careful and be patient,, climb the stairs an extra time or walk, nothing that will over do it! Good luck and keep getting it checked.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I completely understand wanting to get back to it and get back in shape...but you just had a baby. You body went through a big change and needs plenty of time to recover. I think the typical recommendation is 6 weeks before you start any serious exercising. You can do some mild yoga and walking in the mean time but listen to your body. If you start feeling weak or crampy then pull back.

As for the anemia, I'd consider getting some floradix. It's a liquid iron that is much easier on your system and is absorbed at a much higher rate than an iron pill. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of protein.

You'll be back at it soon enough, use these few weeks to focus on your baby. Are you breastfeeding? Breastfeeding burns an amazing amount of calories and is extremely healthy for you and your baby. So if you are just focus on getting that bond fully established.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, I'm definitely going to be discussing it with my doctor and I'll look into the Floradix. I've tried to take SlowFe before and I puke it all back up.

And yes, I'm breastfeeding. Honestly, that is what gave me the jump start to losing weight 18 months ago. I was breastfeeding my twins and the weight just fell off and it gave me the encouragement I needed to get some good exercise habits established before my metabolism started slowing down.
    Dabberdoo

Comment by Dabberdoo (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I was severly anemic because of a hemorrage I had right after I delivered my baby, after 6 months of my iron levels not budging, my dr recommend and iron infusion. It is a 3 hour iron drip done through an IV line ( probably not the technical term!)

It worked wonders, my iron has not gone down since and it has been a year. I have not had to be on iron pills either.

As far as exercise ask your dr about tht too!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Are you taking iron?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Can't take iron. Makes me puke.
    Dabberdoo

Comment by Dabberdoo (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My mom was severely anemic after having my sister. She had to eat liver. ICK!
    For the exercise though, I thought it was 6 weeks after vag birth, 8 weeks after c-section. I waited longer, until I felt healed.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'd wait for the doc's okay...in the meantime, lots of spinach and lean steak!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2011