Having trouble breastfeeding. need some help on knowing to breastfeed.

i tried breastfeeding both my sons but they never did it cause my nipples are flat or small. this time with my daughter i really want to breastfeed and i have been preping and doing what the doctor says but they just stay flat all the time. so i got the nipple shield to see if that will help cause i hear it does. but i want to hear what other mothers have done.

mammawolf604

Asked by mammawolf604 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was actually going to recommend the shield. You already bought it :) do you know where you could find a lactation consultant around you, maybe your doctor would know. They will be able to help you and teach you.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I had inverted nipples and used a breast shell. I would recommend trying that to see if it will help draw the nipple out some. I used it for a short time and then didn't need it any more. GL
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:54 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i have a lactation and she told me the same thing as my doctor did but my nipples just stay flat i can't get them to be like they are suppose to be. i just have to figure out how to use the shield now.
    mammawolf604

Comment by mammawolf604 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree with Amber1330 100%. Enjoy it. *smile
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I suggest you contact a lactation consultant. You could ask your dr or the hospital where you delivered.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• What have they told you to do?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:57 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• they tell me to use a warm wash cloth and rub it around my nipple everyday, try little pinches to get it up or have my husband using his mouth, none of it worked.
    mammawolf604

Comment by mammawolf604 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Good luck!
    I have a friend who had a similar problem. Nipple shield saved her!
    I would line u pa lactation consultant for sure...as Cherylw993 suggested....
    Also, a GREAT book: "So That's What They're For"....was my favorite resource. It has a relaxed attitude, NOT a textbook at all...but VERY helpful.
    Also, maybe join a LLL meeting NOW...go and prepare BEFORE you have a problem. Join a breastfeeeding group on here! Just keep connected to people who have done it.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Definitely try the breast shells...they are made to correct inverted and flat nipples.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• OK... everything those alleged experts told you?

DISREGARD. Especiually the washcloth on the nipples... that's like pouring ACID on them!

Breast SHELLS for your flat nipples. They WORK; I can attest to that personally.

Hie thee to the bookstore for a copy of "So That's What They're For" as recommended above.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011