How do I get my 4 month old to sleep in her own bed?

My 4 month old has been sleeping through the night for a little bit now. I have been trying to get her to sleep in her own bed, but she will wake up at 3:30-4 am. How do I get her to stop doing that and to stay in her own bed at night?

TishAnn752

Asked by TishAnn752 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem for a while with my 3 month old, wait until your baby is in a deep sleep, then transfer the baby to her bed. If you try too early in their sleep, they will wake up, after a few nights, the baby will realize that this is where she sleeps and will start sleeping through the night again.
    kaysmomma121110

Answer by kaysmomma121110 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• She's still "new"...so it's very early to expect sleeping through the whole night. Children only sleep "through the night" when they are "trained" to do so, at least MOST children, and it's usually not in their best interest.
    My son still wakes once half the time and he's 3 years old. Every child is a little different, but remember, we shouldn't expect them to sleep like adults. They have different needs and smaller bodies...they get cold, hot, hungry...etc.
    Even I wake most nights to pee at least once! LOL

Just use whatever set up makes it easier. If you are breastfeeding, she WILL wake up to nurse when she needs it...it just goes with the territory.
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I once read "It doesn't matter where they sleep, just that everyone is sleeping". If I were you, I would keep her in my bed and enjoy it. That's what I did!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My kids are 4 and 7 1/2, go to bed at 7:30-8:00, go potty at least three times each before falling asleep (stalling tactic) and STILL get up around 3am to go to the bathroom. Then the 4 year old has t o try and climb into bed with me between 5 and 7 am.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I never put my son in my bed b/c I was afraid that would happen. I would just keep doing it, and hopefully and eventually your babe will figure it out. G/L
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• She has to do it on her own, I'm afraid. She's sleeping better than I would expect for her age. And of course, now that you've published, she's going to change it!

This is developmental stuff. It's not taught. You just keep wakeups brisk and businesslike and dark; provide an environment conducive to sleep. She will do the rest when she is ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Keep putting her in there. Eventually she will get used to it and one morning you'll realize that she just slept through the night!

Answer by missanc at 12:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011