How can I save money on Groceries?

How can I save money on Groceries,Besides using coupons from the newpaper? and are there websites where I can get free things for a 4 yr old,like toys,and stuff.

Aries_1

Asked by Aries_1 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'd just google it... I'm sure you'll find something.
    As for saving money on groceries, use coupons when you can (I honestly ALWAYS forget coupons, so I'm really not one to talk), and shop sales as often as you can. We ALWAYS buy what's on sale, if we have the option to. Oh, and if you're not picky abour brands for certain items, buy the cheaper brand. We always buy name brands for stuff like mac & cheese, mayo, and cheese slices, but when we're not picky, we always buy the cheaper brand.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You want to save money, use coupons, only shop sale, plan your meals out with the sales paper and stick your menu, purchase store brand, etc.

As far as getting free stuff for your 4 yr old - most "freebies" are samples or scams.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have actually found coupons to not be that useful, because I rarely purchase items that have coupons (when was the last time you saw a coupon for fresh carrots or a bag of potatoes?). I save money by purchasing items that aren't pre-processed, shopping for what's on sale, and having a night or two of vegetarian meals. I also plan out my meals for the week - counting on leftovers for lunches for DH and me.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Plan your meals for a week. Try to use as much as you can of certain items like meat, pasta, rice. If you make meatloaf and have leftovers, add to spaghetti sauce the next day. Leftover spaghetti sauce? Add bacon and sauted onion and add macaroni for goulash. But a cheap roast, slow cook with plenty of potatoes and carrots. Next day, chop up leftovers into small pieces, fry in skillet with a little garlic salt, and you have hash. It's wonderful. Make your own rice pudding. Fried rice is cheap enough. I buy meats in big packages when I can, on sale. Wrap each piece in Saran Wrap, lay flat in freezer until frozen, put in a zipper freezer bag. Now you can take out only what you need. Two chicken breasts will feed family of 4 if you stir-fry, make fingers or a casserole.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• The best way to save is to start making things "from scratch."
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You can use any coupons you find FOR STUFF YOU NORMALLY USE- that's where most people make the mistake. They buy things they wouldn't normally buy because they have a coupon. Also, most generics are basically the same as name brand, and if you can buy in bulk that can also save you money in the long run. I got a 25 pound bag of rice for $7, definitely worth the price if you compare the prices of the smaller bags. Convenience foods are also expensive, so if you buy the ingredients to MAKE the different things, like say spaghetti- sauce is $0.98, noodles are $1.00, and they make much more than the canned versions. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

cont

• Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2011