Why does he yell so much?

My Dh never used to yell at the kids, until recently. It is really annoying me and when I asked him why he does it, he says it's because the kids never listen and it makes him mad. We have 3 kids all in thier teens. Any way to get him to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Not really. We have the same problem in our home. My DH is normally reserved, but when it comes to the kids, their mouths/attitudes, he can only tolerate so much. Raising the voice is what works for them. Not that it is ok, cause no one should be yelling, but these kids nowadays just don't get it. As long as the yelling is not abusive, name calling, etc., tell the kids they need to listen when they are told something if they don't like the yelling. Take some parenting classes for teens, you n the DH.
    Anonymous

• get the kids to listen to him.
    Anonymous

• Didn't you know...we turn into complete idiots when our kids turn into teens....all joking aside...maybe it's time for a family meeting to really take a look at the problem and everyone get on the same page. Kids that age seem to loose some respect somewhere in there. I was never allowed to disrespect my parents. I would have gotten my butt torn up if I had. And, whackin' your kid on the butt...it isn't child abuse.
    Anonymous

• Its gotten to where now the kids are yelling back at HIM! So yes I agree things need to change around here. He never is abusive with it, like calling names or swearing or anything, its more or less done to get their attention. It just tenses me up to have all the yelling in the house.
    Anonymous

• Yelling is something you do when there is a break down in communication. I would do a family meeting, talk to them ask opinion as well as give yours.
    Before you have the meeting talk to your DH about what some ideas are for house rules.
    I dont have a lot of time but there are some web sites to get ideas from
    Respect is something you have to give and teach in order for your kids to have it.
    Anonymous