Tips for potty training.

I hace a 3 year old and we are trying to potty train him. Any tips and advice on how to do this?

TishAnn752

Asked by TishAnn752 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• During the day go right to underwear. Stay home for 3 days. Take him every 1/2 hour at first. he'll have accidents the first 2 days, but stay positive. By day 3 he'll get it. Night time training can take years. Don't pressure him about that now. Stick with pull ups to sleep. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My Big Boy Potty by Joanna Cole my daughter fell in love with the girl version. It covers all the stages of potty training and has a few pages in the back with tips and tricks.

Most kids will get day time potty training down about six months before they learn night time potty training. What worked for my son was to have him go right before bed, I would wake him to go again when I went to bed, and then hustled him into the bathroom first thing in the morning. He took a bit longer (2 years) to potty train due to a couple of major life changes. My daughter, after reading that Potty book so often I had it memorized, learned it all in about a week, week and a half; day AND night. I don't think that's normal though, nor was my son come to think of it.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• DON'T GIVE TREATS or REWARDS!!!

The reward for going potty is: NO WET PANTS :P~
    I know so many people who gave chocolates and all kinds of "things" and it made it take longer IMO.
    Plus, it makes the focus on doing something "for mommy" or "for a reward" instead of just doing what they are supposed to do. The only "reward" I think is appropriate is NEW fun underpants, new fun potty seat...something related.
    Also, read a potty book...and avoid judgment or judgmental comments.
    It's NOT about you or embarrassing you or them doing something wrong...they just need to be ready.

Something I did that I think helped a lot too; I would suggest sitting on the potty before we left anywhere and "trying". No pressure, just suggesting it or bringing him there. He also saw mommy and daddy go all the time (we're very open door about it) so there was no fear of the potty. If they start to resist...back off!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Also...
    My DS was completely DONE by 2 1/2 (night time and all) and I think he was just ready. His night time diaper was dry a few mornings in a row....and then he started waking up to pee...SO we nixed the diapers totally!
    Ever since, he's done. I just phased it all out. I also NEVER used pull ups...but some kids might need that...I can't speak for all.

I think it's better that they FEEL it if they go...and start to NOT want to go in their pants :P~
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• there youtube videos, check them out! some parents are so wrong for video taping this, but its a learning experience that will help you figure out the best ways of doing it.
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 3:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011