What do you think about the new rear-facing/extended boostering guidelines?

Link to article and video

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 12:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• The guidelines are for our safety and for the safety of our children. Who wouldn't want to protect thier child at all costs?
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• i love it. pretty much wish it would become requirement.
    Liebevoll_mami

Answer by Liebevoll_mami at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think they should make seat belts more adjustable. My 9 year old would freak if i made her sit in a booster. I am only 5'1" and my seat belt does not fit me properly....should i get a booster? I can raise my seat up so that it will fit me OK, but then i can't reach my peddles...so i have to lower my seat where the seat belt is practically in my face.....

I think it's time for newer seat belts that are more accommodating to peoples' different sizes.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My car does have a height adjuster and being 5'2" I can tell you it STILL doesn't fit right when it's on the "short" setting. No way on God's green earth am I going to put myself in a booster seat.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• We did extended rear-facing. We will also not let her ride in the front until she is a teen. However, the extended booster may be a bit of a problem. Kiddo may not ever reach 4'9". Can she take a drivers' test in a booster?
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think the extended rear facing is a good idea - I kept my current 2 yo RF until almost that age and will definitely keep my 8 month old RF until 2 because she's tiny. However, my 9 and 11 yo's were horrified at anyone suggesting they should ride in a booster seat! Fortunately they are both over the 4'9" height. Personally, even if they were under I doubt I would make them ride in a booster seat at their ages - I thought keeping them in on until they were 8 was pushing it.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm all for it, and will follow these guidelines even if I'm not legally required to do so. I would much rather be safe than sorry.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My 11 year old is 1/2 inch shorter than me. She will NOT be in a booster. I'm still making her wait until age 12 to sit in the front though. I have an infant and another on the way. Yay me, I get to buy new car seats! And I can't reuse the one my infant is currently using for the newborn when it comes because my infant will only be one at the time and still need it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Just wanted to add that the spine is not fused at a year old. So if you were to get into an accident, the baby's head (which is significantly larger in comparison to their body) would whip forward and possibly cause internal decapitation. I'd rather my child break their legs than break their neck. And I have also never heard of a child breaking their legs while rear-facing.

Do the same laws of physics not apply for a rear facing child in a car that gets hit from the rear?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• "I think they should make seat belts more adjustable. My 9 year old would freak if i made her sit in a booster. I am only 5'1" and my seat belt does not fit me properly....should i get a booster? I can raise my seat up so that it will fit me OK, but then i can't reach my peddles...so i have to lower my seat where the seat belt is practically in my face.....

I think it's time for newer seat belts that are more accommodating to peoples' different sizes."

Really, because I think they have come a long way! My first car (a 68 Pontiac) had to have the seat removed and rebolted to the frame to fit me. The new cars all fit me fine.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2011