When is an appropriate time to tell....

I recently applied for a job I did not think I would get. I applied before i knew I was pregnant. They called me back the other day and I need to call them back today. Should I take the interview and tell them then? or tell them on the phone and see if they still even want me to come in? I should be able to do most of the job while pregnant...there may be a few things I may not be able to do(its a stocker position at a retail store) what should I do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• You do not have to tell them that you are pregnant. And it is illegal for them to ask.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would let them know first.......stocking does require heavy lifting, maybe they would have another position for you.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't tell them - it's not their business at this point and if your pregnancy won't hinder your performance I especially wouldn't tell them. You may kill your chances if you are forthcoming with this info - so I wouldn't.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Take the interview in any event. You don't have to tell them.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Tell them now if you're certain you're pregnant. You won't be able to lift heavy items after a while. You're probably ok for the next 4 to 5 months, but I'm sure they don't want to train someone that will only be able to work that long. Be honest and see what happens.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Usually I would say don't tell, but since you'll be stocking/heavy lifting, then I think you should tell.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree with Keisha. Usually, you don't have to tell them, but I can imagine that your job description has something in it like, "Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs," and you may not be able to do that for long . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You don't have to tell them at all if you don't want to. They can't discriminate because you're pregnant.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Go on your interview and when they ask do you have any questions say "no but I must let you know ....". Pretend you just found out. And say how most of the tasks you can handle. hopefully you interview so well that they want to hire you regardless of your tummy situation.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Take the interview. You really don't need to tell them anything unless they offer you the job. Bringing it up at the end like KoolMom suggested if it looks like they are going to make an offer as actually a very good strategy.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011