Am I the only one?

We do time outs with my son. He's 3 now and we've been doing them since he was a year old. At a year, I would sit him down for a few seconds and then explain why. At 2, we went to real time outs. One minute per age in years, it doesn't start until he's quiet. At three we added that he had to face the wall. Not sit in a corner, not right up against it, but he had to be facing the wall (to cut down on distractions). He normally doesn't mind time outs. He'll sit in them when told. Most of the time he's quiet from the start. He can normally tell you why he was put into time out once it's over.

That all being said, we have added spanking into his life now. By spanking, I mean one pop on the butt. Am I the ONLY one who does this? Sometimes, a time out (or the treat of a time out) just doesn't work. But a quick pop on the butt gets his attention and serves it's purpose. 99% of the time, a time out works wonders. But that other 1%.....it just doesn't work.

So are there other time out mama's who sometimes pop the butt??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope, you're not alone.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, we did a spanking (one swat on the tush) for one of my kids when nothing else worked. And it worked for her, but I would never have spanked my middle son because for him it wouldn't have been effective and it was never needed. Different things work for different kids.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, we did spank and yes it does work. There's a big difference between a swat on the bottom and violence.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Nope, I do not ever spank my child. I don't find violence an effective form of discipline.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't but I've been tempted with my 3-1/2 year old as he's sitting in time out laughing at me instead of learning the point of time out
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Tried it for that 1%. Didn't work. I find revocation of a favorite toy to be far more effective. But everyone has to find what works for them.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• We don't do spanking . . . my husband and I both have some very bad childhood memories about spanking. When the time-outs aren't working, we either take away a toy for a few hours or bring the child to his room, sit in there silently with him, and tell him that we will noy go out until he/she apologizes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• This is so funny because me and my co worker were just discussing this same exact think less than an hour ago. My son does not respond to spanking at all. And i'm glad because I'm not a fan of it at all however I never critisize other parents who do it. It's whatever works for you as long as you are not abusing them and a pop on the butt is clearly not abuse!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I popped mine on the butt for severe or potentially harmful things. And I've seen a few kids that should have been popped on the butt or mouth. Parents only "talked" to them, yet when they got a little older, they sassed, refused to obey, argued, etc. Parents wouldn't correct it when younger, really sorry later on.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 1:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I spanked my children when they were younger. Mostly just a swat on the bottom or hand. When they got older-like school age they got a few real spanking. My childrew are now 17 and 22. They are not perfect but well mannered and have respect. When they got spankings it was usually for something that could have been dangerous to someone. A good point I learned is to pick your battles. I let my kids sometimes wear clothes that didnt match for example. When my son was 3 he wanted to wear his cowboy boots with everything. Did they look good-No. If I tried to fight him on this was is a big battle-Yes. Was it worth it no. Just because I didnt like the way the boots looked didnt make it wrong and didnt hurt anything. It made him happy and let him express himself.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011