What to say...

Do you teach your baby mama and dada or mommy and daddy? Will they speak earlier with the former being taught because its easier to say?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter started with Dada and Mama but then switched to Mommy and Daddy as she started saying more words. I think that even if you say Mommy and Daddy to them, what they will pick up are Mama and Dada. They don't begin speaking by combining two different syllables.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• We say both along with our Slovenian.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• neither will cause them to speak earlier. its the childs brain that does that.
    Anonymous

• I've been told that mama is easier for babies to say because the m is softer than the d. But, use both frequently and you never know what they'll say first. My first son said mama, my second said booby.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I think most babies will say Mama and Dada before they say anything ending with an -ee sound, it's just easier!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008