Does anyone know if its legal in Michigan to do a Home DNA test without the mothers consent?

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Its not legal anywhere. And whatever you get will be deemed fruit of the poisonous tree anything that comes from it will not be used.

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He said the only reason he wants the test is to assure himself. Not for legal purposes. Would he still have to have my consent?

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I didn't know they had home DNA testing. No, it would not be legal. The only positive thing would be that it would tell you if you should do it legally, which costs big money (so I hear). And, if I was the mother and found out - you would be in some serious trouble.

Answer by Kimimale at 1:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• it wouldnt be legal but if he wants to know its his and you know its his why not do just do it?

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Wait a sec. Does the dad in question have legal custody with you... as in you're living together and married? He can test without your consent in that case.

If dad is not married to you or non-custodial, he might try to use your refusal against you in court.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I dont see why he couldnt do a home DNA. If he wants to pay for it then thats his right. YOU already know the baby came from you.
    If it will ease his mind then whats the big deal??? If he however finds it not to be his.... then he can petition the courts for a DNA, which possibly you will have to pay for half of it. But its just as someone going out and doing a drug test to see if it infact works.... he can chalk it up to amusement reasons..... no law against that

Answer by kkbird at 1:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• joint legal custody, Divorced

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• With joint legal custody he may well be able to do it without your permission. If you have nothing to hide, then I wouldn't contest it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• wonder why the interest in him wanting a DNA??? Does he have reason to doubt the child..... or just being stupid to keep drama going back and forth??

Answer by kkbird at 1:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it would be legal, since he has joint legal custody. I also think it's nice that he's telling you he wants to do this, rather then just DOING it, because he COULD, and you'd never know.

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011