How do you feel about the Cry It Out Method?

The reason I ask, brief backround..I have an 8 month old son that suffers from acid reflux, and has suffered since he was about 2 weeks old. He sees a GI regularly and has not had much improvement, we are now taking him for blood work they are going to do an edoscopy on him :-( .... He has all the classic symptoms of reflux such as sour breath, irritability, refusal to eat (has lost a small amount of weight at times), frequent waking/poor sleeping habits to name a few. Now I am at my wits end with people telling me to let them cry it out. I am not a believer in CIO but do not look down upon parents who do. I think it nature to nurture our children and poeple are too quick to let them cry but on top of that I have a child suffering from ailments. What do you think?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 11 months old and he has acid reflux as well. His started about 2 1/2 months and unfortunately has been put on medication for it. Which does not seem to be helping him anymore now at 11 months. I can not even begin to tell you how many people have looked down on me and called me a bad mother for letting my child sleep with me, because it helps him tremendously. I have tried many nights to stick to my guns and put him in his crib, but letting him cry it out was never and will never be an option for me and my husband. In the end, he is my son and I am doing what I think is best for him. Just as you are. Don't let anyone get you down!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think you stick to your guns. You can always lie to those bothering you and tell them either that you tried it for a week and it FAILED MISERABLY (that's what happened here) or that your doc told you NOT to do it...

Or you can tell them that unless they are sleeping under YOUR ROOF it's none of THEIR business. The answer to "how does baby sleep" is always "horizontally." Anything else is "need to know" and no one needs to know!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I, personally, would never let a child cry it out.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I let my DD CIO. She does have reflux and it is under control. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't. We ALL parent differently and it happened to work in my house and may not at your house. You have to make the decisions that are in the best interest of your child. Good luck and I hope that they can figure out what is going on.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I am an attachment parent and an avid believer in Dr. Sears. Stick to your guns. You are the parent and your instinct is the best gauge of what you should be doing.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 1:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• "What was your experience with the cry it out method? "

Didn't work. That simple. Mine could and did stay up. When it hit 20 minutes, I'd stop the clock and restart. We went through it for a solid WEEK.

What worked for getting him to sleep was to stop trying to get him to sleep! We just followed his pattern and kept the environment as conducive to sleep as possible. Et voila! He would lay down ON HIS OWN and go to sleep with NO effort on my part. Yeah, he woke. So do I. I think it's silly to expect anyone to sleep dusk to dawn; we're not wired that way.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I let DD #1 CIO and it worked fine. She always settled down in about 5 minutes. DD #2 has had reflux and we can't let her CIO or she vomits everywhere. The ped tells me the vomiting is not related to the reflux, but I'm not sure I believe her.
    kristinhin

Answer by kristinhin at 1:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'd never let my child cry for a long time, but I do let him cry for a little bit. There is also a difference between screaming bloody murder to crying because they are sleepy. I do not believe children of a certain age should be rocked to sleep or REQUIRE a bottle to get to sleep, or pacifier etc,, (after a certain age) My son is 10mths, and I had to learn to put him down, right before he got too tired, then he'd play a few min. and go to sleep, if i wait to long its hopeless, if i do it too soon,, hopeless. It takes time! Start keeping track of her schedule, and watching her. My son rubs his eyes and nose when he gets tired (as do most kids) sometimes he seems happy but i still know after 2 and a half hours maybe 3, he gets tired and needs to lay down. Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think that it is cruel

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would never leave my child to cry endlessly, but to let a healthy child cry for a few minutes to settle themselves down - yes I have done it and have no problem with people doing it. Since your son has some health issues, I wouldn't recommend it. My 2nd son had acid reflux but his was minor and cleared up on zantac. I hope your son (and you!) get some relief soon!

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011