I read an article yesterday that suggested giving molasses to fussy babys?

tortgeorge

Asked by tortgeorge at 1:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Molasses? How old was this article? **grin**

No need to give anything sugary.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I take it for health reasons (only unsulphured blackstrap molasses) but I've not heard that it's OK to give to babies.
    Anonymous

• LOL It was in the sunday journal here in Rhode Island, I was said that it helps to calm colicy, fussy babies...I tried it today with my 4 month old son who has me to the end of my rope! Since Friday he has been unconsolable, only wanting to be held and walked around. He has been sleeping for only 20 minutes at a time, and at night be has only slept for 3 hours then up from 3-6! I was willing to try anything and guess what it seemed to work! I gave him 1/2 teaspoon and 4 oz of warm water and he went right to sleep, he has been asleep for almost 3 hours!!! It maybe a fluke but im enjoying the silence!! lol!
    tortgeorge

Comment by tortgeorge (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Hey - go with it until it doesn't work! My youngest was real fussy too so I feel your pain!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Funny you should ask. My mother, who is 53 swears by giving a little sugar on a pacifier to a baby who won't stop crying. My sister was colic and it actually works, she didn't do it on day 1 or anything, but a few months old.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011